Ain't our NHS wonderful

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was looking up a few facts about a medicine that I'm taking and inevitably found myself on an American site (most informative sites are American). Anyway one question that seems to be asked a lot is "is there a cheaper alternative to my prescribed medication" as it seems that if, like me, you have a long term illness then you need very deep pockets or a large insurance cover.

I can't imagine what it's like to not have access to vital medical care just because I'm poor.As I say ain't our NHS wonderful, I get I'll, I go to the doctor, get the med and if I haven't got the money to pay for the prescription or am on a long term course it doesn't cost me a penny, and it's not charity, it's covered by our taxes.

How come not ever civilised country uses a similar method?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Here in u.s. we get the generic form if origininal is to expensive, saves hundreds of dollars
    • Posted

That is what the NHS does as well. I never get the same makers one twice. On ocasionI have had two different makers on one prescription 
  • Posted

You have obviously not had to pay for your own drugs because NICE refuse to OK them, some people with cancer can pay a fortune, or have to go privately because your GP practise is saving money. 
  • Posted

What have a six month wait to see a neurologist and forty week waiting lists to see a neuro surgeon and eight hours in A&E for someone on Warfarin to get a cut hand bandaged up ? That is from my 2016 diary. I eventually went to see the same neuro surgeon privately. He wanted me to have an MRI scan. The hospital who had fitted my MRI compatible pacemaker could not do it as their imaging department had not agreed a protocol to scan the make they had fitted. I had to travel to another city to have the scan.  I checked again out of interest two weeks ago and after 18 months they still have not agreed a protocol. The Scanner does not actually belong to the hospital as they can't afford to buy one so a private company owns it and uses it for private and NHS patients. 

I waited 54 weeks to have my aortic valve replaced and a friend in Baltimore on Medicare had his done in three weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.