Venlafaxine taper

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been unwell for the last 3 years and have been on and off every anridepressant medication known tto man,literally, and in very high doses. I am just so sick of nothing working. I don't know if drugs actually can for my condition. I just have no confidence or self esteem. I have not been able to work for the last 3 years . I had a high paying job and the loss of income has really put a strain on my family and relationship.I just don't like myself.

Part of this not liking myself is that I think I am dumb. I just can't remember anything. My memory was never great but it has really gotten bad the last 3 years and this depresses me even further.I blame the drugs.

With the New year I got to thinking something has got to change.

I am sick of all the drugs I have been taking. The psychiatrists don't really know and they just keep changing the drugs and upping the dose until you feel nothing and they say that is you better. Well I am worse for all the drugs and other treatments I have undergone. To to cut along story short I have been slowly ( over the last couple of months) weaning myself from 375mg Effexor and 5 mg Zyprexa. I have now stopped the Zyprexa entirely and am down to 137 mg Effexor. I have read all the horror stories of discontinuation syndrome but as yet not experienced any real adverse physical symptoms although my mood has dropped.

I thought if I stopped the drugs that my mind would eventually return to normal but reading the various online forums that does not seem to be the case .I am depressed on the drugs with all their side effects. I would rather be depressed and have a clear mind off the drugs.

Has anyone had a similar situation to mine?

Also has anyone found that after quitting anridepressants their mind fot out of the fog or did things just get worse?

Sorry for the rant I am not very goodbat expressing myself.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I don't think you're ranting I think you've come to a point where you've said enough is enough I'm going to try a new way of dealing with my depression. I can identify with you entirely. I wonder if you are able to try cognitive behavioural therapy. I have been seeing a counsellor for several months and this has helped me immensely. I was on Mirtazapine 45mg for years and Venlafaxine for even longer. I've stopped the Mirtazapine, reducing very slowly, only just stopped. I'm very slowly reducing the Venlafaxine. So far so good. I came to recognise that the symptoms I was having were made worse by the meds. I hope to be off all antidepressants by August, however I'm taking it as it comes, so if it doesn't work I'm not pressuring myself.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I have tried CBT but I just can't take it in. I feel I am too dumb. It is just in one ear and out the other.

Did you have much trouble coming off the mirtazapine?

Unike youI am too impatient to come off the Effexor. Are you consulting with a doctor to wean off? I am surprised at the moment that I have had none of the dreaded discontiniation syndrome physical symptoms other than not wa ting to get out of bed to fa e the day. As I said in my previous post my mood has not been good so I am suffering paychologically.

• Posted

I really do agree with respondents who say that the talking therapies are a help. I had a six week group at the same time as taking Venlafaxine but I couldn't "do my homework" until the medication had begun to raise my mood. It is dependent on what has started the depression I had 2 Life events which I reckon had contributed to my anxiety. Sincerely wishing you a good outcome!

• Posted

Hello there I am in a similar place I lost my business some years ago and to top that my son only 24 passed away . Like you the doctor and the psychiatrist put me on ven starting on a low dose and ending up on 225 . Well many years later because of all the side effects and the memory loss I'd had enough the medical people said no stay on the ven .. anyway I wanted to come off regardless.. so I started tapering down to 185 for 3 months then last month 75 mg once a day and now my smell is returning to me and memory too my sleepiness is going and I am feeling much more human !! I am going to stay on the 75 mg until I feel sure and confident enough to reduce further..please see my earlier post. I hope this helps you oh PS. My headaches have been easing too .. good luck.  

• Posted

Boy you have had it rough. I just lost all confidence in my ability to do my job and had to stop. Nothing of the magnitude you have had to endure.

I do not know where to look to see your earlier posts.

Have you had any problems reducing the Effexor?

I have had very few physical symptoms coming off but I am pretty sure my mood has got lower. I don't want to get out of bed to face the day. I seem to be focusing more on my situation and becoming down because of it. I don't know if this is such a bad thing as when I was on the high dose of Effexor I just pushed these thoughts away. Now not thinking about anything is not helping either.

What has been the time frame of your coming off the drug and have you had any help from doctors?

• Posted

Hello there. I looked to being off the ven in 9 to 12 months. I tried to come off  in to much of a hurry at first and it was awfull . So people on this site seem to taper the ven slowly reducing levers couple of months   And it's working for me and I'm sure it would do the same for you ... but it does work and now I am feeling much better . And slowly getting my life back. Good luck.  Best wishes Michael.  

• Posted

Hello there I am in a similar place I lost my business some years ago and to top that my son only 24 passed away . Like you the doctor and the psychiatrist put me on ven starting on a low dose and ending up on 225 . Well many years later because of all the side effects and the memory loss I'd had enough the medical people said no stay on the ven .. anyway I wanted to come off regardless.. so I started tapering down to 185 for 3 months then last month 75 mg once a day and now my smell is returning to me and memory too my sleepiness is going and I am feeling much more human !! I am going to stay on the 75 mg until I feel sure and confident enough to reduce further..please see my earlier post. I hope this helps you oh PS. My headaches have been easing too .. good luck.  

• Posted

Hi,

i just replied to you on another post so please see that as well.

I have found that my memory and mental alertness have really improved since stopping venlafaxine. I thought I was ok on it, but looking back I wasn't  really on the ball. I was living in a fog and in happy la la land. Which is brilliant when you need stabilising, but not so good long term. It took a long time to get here. It's been 5 months since I've been off it and the first 2 months were so emotional it was difficult to see clearly. But now I can.

i have good days and bad days still, but at least my mind is clear now.

hope that helps.

Liz

• Posted

I am wroting this in the waiting room of my psychiatrist. I have to tell him that I have been cutting my Effexor down without his knowledge. Going to have to tell him I dont hold hope for the drugs to help me..

Your reply was most encouraging. I am impatient to cut down my dose. What did you taper from and how did you taper?

I am feeling psychologically lousy but have had no real physical aymptoms yet.

• Posted

it was rough getting off. i have only been off for 3 months now and i still have mood changes that the dr said are withdrawal related or my brain chemistry still adjusting to being off and to look forward to it lasting up to another 6 months. HOWEVER my memory is getting better. i should really add excercise to my life to aid in the recovery. i dont care if it isn't PC or whatever add God to your life too. I wish i had done that sooner I am sure i would be further along. good luck!

• Posted

I have found my memory to be really poor while on most antidepressants. Do you think effexor is especially bad.

I have cut down from 225 mg to 135 mg in the last 3weeks and am reaaly feeling down, unmotivated.

Did you have these symptoms. What did you cut down from and how did you do it?

Thanks for your reply.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.