So much pain from plaster cast

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone, I am struggling a bit after surgery. It is helpful to read about other people.

I had surgery to correct a tendon transfer that was not done correctly, leading to some torn tissues and adhesions, sticking all my tendons together. I am 3 weeks post op. The first week in the back slab was much more comfortable. After the initial bad pain started to settled settle. Since then I have had 2 fiberglass whole below knee plasters which have both cause a lot if pain pressing on my wounds. The plaster technicians said it was because it is bruised and swollen but the continued pressure from the plaster seems to be making it worse. When I move I also get a pulling painful feeling and I am wondering i f this could be dislodging some of the repairs.

Has anyone got any experience of this or any suggestions.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Val, 

sorry to hear about the injury and surgery. I had a ruptured Achilles and surgery about 20 weeks ago. I am afraid i don't have any knowledge or experience with your issues and can't be much help other than to press on the surgeon until you get a suitable response--that doesn't involve more heavy pain meds. 

Good luck,and hope you feel better soon. 

• Posted

Rob,

Thanks for getting back. Were you in plaster with your Achilles. As mine was a tendon transfer they plaster your foot in the relaxed position, and with all the debridement I had the plaster is pressing on the wounds. Fingers crossed, I seems to be settling a bit.

• Posted

No, I don't think it was a plaster cast. It was more like a stiff splint, with my foot in a position that relaxed the achilles (heel up, toes down at about 45 degree angle). I was only in that for a week before the surgeon removed it and put me in a boot with heel lifts that immobilized my foot. I was non-weight bearing for about 4 weeks, then removed one lift (started with 3) each of the next 3 weeks, while slowly increasing weight bearing--like 25%, 50%, and 75% each week until I could do walk with the boot for a week. Then it was boot off, and trying to find shoes that would fit my swollen and misshapen foot and heel. Physical therapy started as soon as the splint was off. I had some pain, many folks reported various levels of pain and numbness associated, it seems, with swelling. Also had some "shooters," sharp jabs of pain in the heel that were very intense, but only lasted a couple seconds. Haven't had one of those, come to think of it, in a few weeks. It's slow, Val; don't give up on yourself or the PT. It will get better with time.

• Posted

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your input. I have been fending for myself last three days. A bit apprehensive. Got out of bed this morning, on the other side so my plaster was against the way it goes. It is quite heavy & I feel like I have upset the nerve in the tarsal tunnel. My big toe is hurting and my foot & leg feel like the nerve is irritated. I also had pulling on the muscle of the transferred tendon. Have you had any thing like this, an and what might help.

• Posted

I have in fact experienced the pain in the big toe--in fact I still have occasional shots of sharp pain when walking. Physical therapist says it is due to the long immobility and atrophy of some of the muscles impacting the various connective tissue. What helps is actually pulling on the toe, kkind of like cracking a knuckle. Don't know if you can get to it with the plaster cast.

When do you get out of the plaster? When you do you will be able to take boot off and get some ice on the ankle several times a day--that really helped me. Also be able to do more mobility exercises (taking off sock and trying to move some marbles around with the toes--sounds silly, but wait til you see how hard it is--but the mobility comes back pretty quickly--a few weeks--once the plaster is gone).

I also have had the sensation of the tendon pulling on the muscle--felt like I had a steel cable between the calf muscle and heel. That will get better once you can start walking on it. Also felt like my ankle was filled with fine sand--really annoying. All part of swelling and nerve irritation.

Hang in there. One day at a time...

• Posted

val38137, my big toe also starts hurting almost from last week of me being in cast, and it didn’t go away even now (maybe week 15). This pain first was in metatarsal area, but now it’s in Toe joints(specially first joint of big toe) , the sharp pain goes up when walking, especially if I don’t wear a Walking Shoe, then for sure after few steps it starts hurting...

There are people who suggest moving the toe will help, and that we should keep moving it. But I personally didn’t feel if that help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.