Knee and Hip Pain after ACDF Surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had surgery at C7 - T2 on 12/5, which is going really good. All of a sudden my left knee and hip are in a lot of pain. Anyone know why? Thanks.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Describe the pain...
    • Posted

Comes and goes. Feels more like a muscle spasm, but still in the joint. Sleeping was almost impossible New Years it hurt so bad. The cold doesn't help outside either.

• Posted

So there's no pain moving from your hips through your glutes and down your leg.  The pain is totally localized in the knee.  If this is correct, did you twist the knee or bend it in a bad direction recently?

If it's something IN the knee, then I'd get some imaging done on it ASAP.  Find a good ortho group, preferably one that works with your local college and professional sports teams.  X-ray / MRI.  Note that they may or may not find anything as the studies could be inconclusive (happened to me 4 times).  In that case, they'll "scope" the knee to find the problem.

I asked you to describe the pain to make sure it's not spine related.  I've had sciatic nerve problems that affected the leg but were caused by bone spurs at L4/L5 irritating the nerve.  Your C7-L2 work may have been too high up to cause leg issues, especially if the pain is localized to within the knee.

I'm not a doc but I'd start with an ortho and the imaging before thinking spine and working backwards to there.  Without taking drugs for the pain, Voltaren Gel (RX, USA) is a great topical anti-inflammatory.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.