Ongoing uti for 2 months.. frequent urination

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi folks... I got uti back in November and was given macrobid for 5 days and then after 2 weeks again got the uti.. I was given bactrim ds , 2 times a day for 10 days. Once the course was finished, I started having symptoms again in 3 days. My GP did the urine culture and gave me another round of for 1o days . But this is my 4th day and I have no relief. I am passing urine frequently... What should I do?

Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

what is the new antibiotic you are on?  Sounds like you could have a resistant bacteria.
    • Posted

I am taking nitrofuratoin 2 times a day for 10 days.. still 6 more days to go....
  • Posted

Whatever you do, don't take Ciprofloxacin unless it is the last resort and that the hospital has did a urine culture identifying the bacteria. Can you be more specific on your symptoms? Is it just frequent urination or is it burning etc?

• Posted

Frequent urination is the only symptom. I pee atleast 12 - 14 times in a day... tired of going to the loo all the time. I get so anxious every time i pee. Do you think the more anxious I get , the more urgency I have.. and yes I have given my urine sample for culture . Will get the report by tomorrow. Also I am assuming it should be the same bcteria in my last urine culture coz my symptoms returned on 3 days after finishing the round of bactrim ds.
    • Posted

Keep us posted how it goes.  I was to see the urologist this morning with regards to symptoms and low bacteria.  He stated my urinalysis is clear, the culture came back with strep b, but he says they only treat it if your pregnant or diabetic.  Antibiotics won't do anything if there is no infection so keep that in mind.  Also antibiotics should not be really given out without a positive urinalysis and a high growth bateria.  Macrobid (which is what you are taking) only covers a few types of bacteria.  The urologist feels that my symptoms are caused by urethral syndrome and there are other medications that can be used to relax the muscles.  It sounds like your anxiety is making the symtoms worse.  I told the doctor I am going to try and work on my immune system and I will go back in three months, if the symtoms are worse than I will consider daily medication.  I used to think UTI symptoms meant a UTI, but in reality there are a lot more reasons that cause these symtoms.  Anxiety, hormones, vaginal infections, PMS, just being a few.  I would say if the antibiotics don't work I would search deeper into the underlying cause, it takes awhile TRUST ME, I have been dealing with this since last August, but I feel like I am slowly getting the pieces put together.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.