Escitalopram to Venlafaxine (lexapro to effexor)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I've been on escitalopram for 4 years now. Last year on 20mg plus wellbutrin 150 mg.

I was tired all the time and anxious and ready to something bad happen. Depressed and no energy and no motivation. Recently I lost my drive to study. I lost my care for finishing the university and this semester I was dropped most of the courses.

Anyway, my doc told me to go straight to 75 mg of effexor and stop taking escitalopram. It's been 4 days since starting the first dose of venlafaxine.

But I did not stop bupropion (wellbutrin) and im taking both (75 of effexor and 150 of wellbutrin) at the same time in the morning. Need to mention I dont care about stopping Ven after some years probably and having a lot of withdrawal symptoms. I don't care about that time. I'll take care of that in its time.

Feeling no difference. And not expect to feel anything this soon. I should wait at least 5 weeks.

My question is should I continue taking wellbutrin along with effexor or shall I stop taking wellbutrin?

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I don't know about taking wellbutrin with venlafaxine, but I take venlafaxine and mirtazapine. Like you I don't care about the withdrawal from venlafaxine right now. I'll deal with that when and if I have to. I've been on these meds since the summer of 2015, and I'm feeling happier and sleeping better than I have in years. I hope the venlafaxine will work as well for you. Let me know how you are doing. This site is a great place to talk about these issues because everyone understands and is nonjudgemental.

Take care,

Phylis

• Posted

Thanks for your reply,

Nothing has happened yet. I don't feel any changes since switching Lex to Ven. Not feeling bad nor good.

I switched Lex to Ven in one step. I feel like I haven't changed my meds! Are they the same? Is this a good idea to stop taking wellbutrin and double Ven to 150mg?

• Posted

Hi, I was just wondering if you can remember when you first started taking Venlafaxine did you suffer from drowsiness or fatigue and did it subside eventually? I've been taking it for a week and I'm in instant release, within a few hours of taking it my anxiety increases and I'm very drowsy? Thanks

• Posted

I never suffered from clinical depression until 2015. I started taking antidepressants in June 2015 for the first time in my life. For the first few weeks I didn't feel any difference, good or bad. In July 2015, my psychiatrist hospitalized me for a few days to monitor my progress while he found the meds that would work for me. My condition was treatment resistant. Now I have been taking 300 mg venlafaxine and 15 mg mirtazapine since July 2015. I am happier and sleeping better than I have in years. My dosage of venlafaxine is unusable high, but or has given me my life back. If you haven't been on the new meds for long you may just need to give it a bit more time for them to help you. Let me know how you are doing.

Take care,

Phyllis

• Posted

Hi James,

I had never suffered from clinical depression in my lif until 2015. My doctor started me on a low dosage of venlafaxine and miryazapine in early July 2015. On those dosages my condition didn't improve and my psychosis got worse. My psychiast hospitalized me for a few days to monitor my progress while he found the meds that would work for me. I have now been o 300 mg venlafaxine and 15 mg mirtazapine since late July 2015. I an on such a high dosage because my condition was treatment resistant. I am taking the extended release and have never taken the instant release. It usually does take a few weeks for the full effect to kicK in. Have you asked your doctor about the difference between instant release and extended release? That probably effects the way they work. Let me know how you are doing.

Take care,

Phyllis

• Posted

Sorry, you also asked me about the drowsiness. I do have some trouble waking up fully, but once I'm up I don't have a problem staying awake. I don't sleep through alarms either and can get up and function without feeling sluggish. I thought the drowsiness was mostly from the mirtazapine because my doctor gave me that med to help me sleep. Now I think the ven can also effect the drowsiness. How long have you been taking it now? If you continue to feel so drowsy tell your doctor. Maybe he will adjust your dosage or switch to time release.

Take care,

Phyllis

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, my condition is generalised anxiety disorder. I've just noticed when I take the Venlafaxine I can become very anxious and then very drowsy a few hours after taking it. Fingers cross its just a short term side effect and not a long term side effect meaning I will have to switch to something different. I hope you are doing well

Now. Long may it continue

• Posted

I'm doing very well. I hope you will adjust to the meds soon. Maybe the instant release has something to do with your anxiety and drowsiness. I have always been on time release. Keep me posted on your progress.

Take care,

Phyllis

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.