Are they ANY success stories?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Been reading a lot about people experiences with Amiodarone on here and majority of it have been negative. As I've heard this drug aside from it's many side effects actually does is job are there ANY good success stories?

There has to be a few people on this forum who have had a good experience with Amiodarone. Would love to hear from those people. It would be very comforting as well.

Thank you

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi. I have been using Amio 3 years now and it has stopped the awful episodes. Due to reading some of these posts last year in May I started cutting the tablets in half, was ok. November the rattle started so back on one pill a day. Very rarely the rattle starts, I have my own remedy when it does. The sign is I need the bathroom, so then after I bounce hard on my heels ( cant jump, too old !) once a second - bang bang bang. After a couple of minutes my pulse drops down  to normal. Riding my horse at sitting trop works, riding by bike over the speed bumps works. I WISH someone else would try my remedies and see if they work for them ? My side effects are nothing special and worth putting up with, on the whole I am very pleased with Amio and would recommend it to all who experience the utter panic of feeling your heart is going to burst through your chest.
    • Posted

Thank you for you're reply! I'm extremely glad to hear that it's working for you. Do you at all experience any shortness of breathe or strong palpitations? Seems to be the main problem over here. Both are very overwhelming right now

• Posted

No palpitations any more. Yes often hard to breathe for me but then I have chronic bronchial asthma and take Symbicort for that, but a small dose . I am not fond of heavy doses and hospitals so try to manage on my own -I will never have ablation as I can see they do no good by the horror stories on this forum
  • Posted

Hi, I have persistant AF and after 4 ablations and a pacemaker I then developed Heart Failure and had a CRT pacemaker implanted.  My EF slowly dropped to 10-15% and the AF came back with a vengance.  I've been on Amioderone for a couple of years now and it's turned my life around.  I was at deaths door - literally, but within a week of starting the Amioderone I felt miles better and have continued to feel that way.

Nobody want's to take this drug, as the list of possible side effects is huge, but if your cardiologist is prescribing it it's because you've been given everything else and he can't think of any other drugs that will help.

The sun protection is a bit of a pain in the summer but it's a small price to pay.

I recently had a go at reducing the dosage by a half but within a week I felt dreadful again and had to go back to the full dose.

My advice is to suck it up - it's keeping you going.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate the feedback. Reading about the side effects of this drug is pretty scary. Do you get any strong palpitations or shortness of breathe at all?
    • Posted

Hi,  I dont understand about your sun protection ? I live in a very sunny country and walk about in tiny clothes and am hardly a white person any more ! ! ! I dont use anything, but maybe my mediterranean diet keeps my skin ok.
    • Posted

You have to cover up with at least factor 30 sun cream and, if you are losing your hair, wear a hat. Amioderone will turn your skin slate grey in bright sunlight. This is not a possible side effect, it is a definite side effect and it will not fade afterwards.
    • Posted

Roy12877  You are PANIC SPREADING AND THIS IS NOT TRUE.  May be a side effect in very few cases. I have lived in the sun for 25 years and work on the land. I am. according to my friends a very nice golden brown.  GOOD LUCK WITH SELLING YOUR SUNCREAM.  HUH.

• Posted

I am very happy at your good fortune to be immune to this side effect. I can only tell you that my cardiologist stressed on 3 separate occasions that I must cover up.

Indeed he had a patient who had ignored his advice and had suffered from this side effect. Please don't encourage people to chance their luck based on your experience.

Images of this effect are easy to find on the internet and are not pretty.

• Posted

I too thought it was a rare side effect until my EP doc told me to ensure I cover up and stay out of the sun as much as possible. I was told, by him, that it's a common side effect.

• Posted

I get some breathlessness but nothing like it was before the Amioderone.

. I used to get incredible palpitations a couple of times a day which just paralysed me but not any more.

• Posted

Roy, no one has said what actual dosage of Amio they are using ? I have one 200 tablet once daily. Bit envious of cris GB, with our rubbish tv I would enjoy some of his dreams !
    • Posted

How is the 200mg daily dosage working for you? Any side effects bugging you?
    • Posted

I think 200mg is the standard maintenance dose after the initial booster dosage. The doctor did try to reduce this as I also have COPD (pre-existing) but the heart wasn't having any of it. I have 2 friends who have been put on Amioderone on a temporary basis to regulate the heart and it worked well in both cases and they no longer use it. You can always ask the doc if it's worth trying to come off it when you feel your condition is stable.

• Posted

Thankyou. I did try last summer cutting my pills in half but in November my heart started the rubbish again (really scarey as I had forgotten what it felt like- haa haa ) so now back on 200 a day. The cardio guy at the hospital said it was years of Ventilan that has upset my heart . I had been using it for many years before they changed me to Symbicort and even then I had to insist on the smaller dose. The docs are very keen to sell lots of drugs , worse than car salesmen !
    • Posted

Yes, breathless even more (chronic bronchial asthma) and odd small things but believe me the   Amio is giving me peace of mind and is well worth it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.