Pain in gums

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had TN for two years now. Depending on the type of pain, it feels like my gums are swollen from the constant stabbing at times. Has anyone else experienced this or is that not a thing?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

My gum pain is in the upper left front.  It feels like I have a toothache up in the root, but that continues up through my nose, into my eye, then my forehead and temple.  On my worst days, it feels like searing pains running through my scalp. My pains are horrible burning pains.  I've been diagnosed as either having TN or cluster headaches.  Seems it doesn't matter which I have, the Trigeminal nerve is responsible for both.  I've been going at this since October with a maximum of 4 days when I don't have pains.  I just had 3 straight days with pain, (longest lasting 1 1/2 hours) but the intensity is far less than before.  I'm taking Gabapentin, and when I have attacks, I've found it helps to heat a thick wet cloth in the microwave as hot as I can stand it, and hold it to my face.  Sometimes it only takes 3 or 4 times, other times it takes 10-15 times.  When it's that bad, I've found walking around with the cloth to my face helps.  Thank God.....I do not have those killer pains anymore.  Though....I've come close! 

• Posted

I can't use heat on my face I use ice because it kind of numbs it. I'm always in some type of pain and it's so irritating. Does Gabapentin work for you?

• Posted

Oh heck yeah!  Gabapentin has saved my life.  I had already told my husband and daughter I loved them, but I couldn't go on like that.  Even though I still have attacks, they are not nearly the intense pains I was having.  My attacks were lasting all night long, and I was crying and begging for it to please stop with every breath.  My worst pains now are nothing compared to what they were.....thank God!  I only take 300 mg 3 times a day.  A lot of people take much more, but as long as this controls my pains, I can look forward to taking it longer before it no longer works for me.  I just talked to a woman who's daughter has this.  They have connected her condition to being vitamin B12 deficient. Her doctor told her she needed the injections once a week in order to repair the nerve.  My regular doctor told me to start taking B12 several months ago.....way before I started having these attacks.  Now, I'm wondering if I need the injections.  You should look into that too.

• Posted

I'll definitely talk with my doctor about it. I take cymbalta 30 mg twice a day and it really doesn't work at all.

• Posted

Hi, I get the same pain and feeling. This really sucks because it is different for everyone and this forum to validate the pain and feelings that we experience.
  • Posted

I've had swollen and sometimes bleeding gums.  I thought it was when the TN was really bad and I hadn't been able to clean my teeth, but I now think it is when I increase the drugs a lot.  I am sure it is caused by the drugs.  I am on oxcarbazepine at the moment.  I have tried so many I've lost track.  They have all caused problems, feeling like a zombie, not being able to move or lift a mug and mouth soreness/swelling and bleeding.  I also have progressive MS.

I offer you my heartfelt sympathy and wish you all the best.

Sally

• Posted

Oh wow sorry to hear that. Does this medication work for you even a little, regardless of the other problems it causes?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.