Af and diabetes ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone, is there any link between diabetes and AF ? My brother (age 34) has recently been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and I have AF - I'm wondering if I should be tested as some of my symptoms such as tiredness could be caused by diabetes not Af ? Would I have been tested for diabetes when first diagnosed with Af 2 years ago ?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Steve. Haven't heard of any link. Af does make you very tired. You wouldnt have been tested for diabetes but next time you see your gp you can organise a simple blood test. Hope you dont have both!

• Posted

Hey Steve.

I've hade af for 7 years now and diabetes type 1 since 1998.

Don't hiwever think there is any connection between the two. Not as far as i know anyway.

• Posted

If your brother has developed Type 1 it might be a good idea to ask your GP to check you every now and again - a simple blood test. And no, no link between AF and diabetes though that I know of? AF as stated does make you tired - less oxygen in your blood stream.
    • Posted

Fear Okapis I'm so pleased I read your reply to Steve. I have had AF for the past three years and suffer from extreme fatigue. I have spoken to a consultant cardiologist and other consultants plus my GP I have been sent to the hospital for various checkup's but the answer to all of the questions and tests are the same it is caused by the stroke you had and you will have to live with it until in time hopefully it will disappear. Some days I can't get out of bed my old life has almost disappeared. I know I am lucky as I could have been left with far more than tieredness. Reading your reply to Steve where you explain that AF makes you tired due to less oxygen in the blood makes so much sense I feel so happy to have an explanation many many thanks Okapis. Good luck to you and Steve Therapy Girl

• Posted

My cousin has a blood disorder called polycythemia - has anyone heard of it ? It makes your blood thick - I'm not been neurotic here I'm just looking for the elusive trigger/cause and having a relative with a disorderlike that seems quite a coincidence ?

• Posted

Hello Steve35uk I also have AF but not diabetes. I get extremely tired but that is caused by a stroke I had 3 years ago. I think there is a danger to think we have symptoms of other illnesses when we have someone close to us is also experiencing similar symptoms. Having a test for diabetes is quite simple and quick so perhaps organising a test with your GP may be the next step. Good Luck and I sincerely hope you do not have diabetes. I can tell you when I hear friends and family discussing various ailments I often think .... I have that or I've experienced similar. Problems. All the best Therapy Girl

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.