Clicking painless joints & feel worse about to give in with fluoxetine

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm driving myself mad been on fluoxetine since 25th November started on 20mg and got massively worse so the doctor upped my dose to 40mg about two weeks ago, now all my joints shoulder wrists knees ankles are clicking this is a new thing no pain, also when I swallow I feel like the same clicking/grinding sound it's driving me mad! One side of my face/head also feels sore to touch I can't cope with this I'm deciding alsorts must be wrong with me and I'm going to die I think I need to change back to sertraline to see if this gets better, does this medicine affect anybody else like this?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jodie

This will settle down, but everytime you increase your dose various side effect will appear.  I had similar symptoms when I increased my dose but they will start to disappear in another couple of weeks. Hang on in there it's definitely worth it in the end. X

• Posted

I get a buzzing sensation in my lower back!I have been on these since Nov17th.I started at 5 and worked up to 25!Been going up five mg a week!It has been six weeks total and only difference I notice is I get tired a lot and sleep more other than that I feel no better mentally!Still think my life is over
    • Posted

Really, that sounds like a strange ish affect too my joints clicking is the one thing that's seriously affecting me making me thing that something serious is wrong inside my body and I'm going to get really ill it's awful x

• Posted

Really? Did you have any joint clicking this is the worrying part for me have I not been on it long enough for the full affect yet x
  • Posted

Hi I had aching legs at one time but not clicking joints . My headache is sore round my temples think it's tension tho . The side effects have been terrible for me x thinking of going up to 40mg when I see docs tomorrow x been on 20 mg for 7 weeks

• Posted

One of my legs is severely aching today and my knee and like can feel twitching or throbbing inside it like muscles jumping it's the clicking that's worrying me and then thinking I must be seriously ill and might die leaving my young kids, no appetite again either X

• Posted

You are not about to die.. that is just your mind telling you a crappy story. Because the tablets are still getting in your system you have more awareness on every little thing in your body. When the tablets are doing their job which will still be some time yet you will not even blink at what is happening now. Anxiety and Paranoia is normal. If you are truly worried go and see your GP but my body cracks and creaks all the time.. it is getting worse the older I start to get as well.

• Posted

Hi thanks so much for your comment seems you were right doctor said try ride it out for

A couple more weeks see if things have improved, I'm also not sleeping at night very well seems my mind stays thinking also barely no appetite it seems so harsh the muscle twitches & joint cracking have me convinced something bad is wrong x

• Posted

Hi Jodie 

As most of our bodies serotonin is in our stomach this is the reason that we lose our appetites and have problems with visiting the toilet frequently- this will also settle down and your appetite will come back but it takes at least eight weeks and even then you will have blips but after three months things should start to really settle down. X

• Posted

My appetite has finally arrived back after 3 months.. you need to push yourself to eat something. Remember there is nothing wrong with you.. your brain is just telling you crappy stories right now as it knows you will grab onto them. Things will get better.. those creaks of bones are normal. You are alive and well!!
    • Posted

Thankyou I hope ur right, also I have muscle twitches but they only seem to be in the same leg same side which is making me worry as to why it's not both legs can this happen? Thankyou

• Posted

It sure can... I had a muscle on my leg last year that was doing that all the time.. my doctor said it was more than likely something in my back as often we can pull something somewhere else and it can hurt a nerve. He had me doing some light stretches which really helped. Try some massage on the area. I think you need to try and look at this in a reasonable light... why would you suddenly be struck down by something awful right at the same time that you have just started on some anti depressants. I have never heard of a muscle twitch being deadly at all. 
    • Posted

P.S you have different muscles in different legs remember... of course you will not have the same problem on both sides.  I have carpal tunnel in my wrists... do both wrists flare up at the same time and give me grief... nope.. they are connected to different parts in my body and do their own thing.
    • Posted

I get the muscle twitches and I also have a buzzing in my lower back it's like a vibrating sensation I just started this past week

• Posted

My legs ache terribly and continue to twitch today is this normal it's driving me mad I didn't sleep lastnight at all either. Either side effects are worsening or I'm ill with something bad and I'm in such an anxious panic struck state today it's awful x

• Posted

You are more worried about your legs because you are getting some anxiety side effects from your tablets I am guessing. Honestly everything seems bigger than ben hur when you suffer from anxiety. I wonder if magnesium tablets would help you... maybe go and have a chat to your local phamacist and ask them if you could try that.

I know my legs often ache if I sleep in one spot... do you find yourself moving a lot when you sleep or do you just start in one spot and stay there... also how is your mattress.

Maybe sit on the floor and do some slow stretches... the other thing you could do is get some "deep heat" or whatever you have for a muscle rub in your country.

I doubt you are ill with something bad... your mind is playing little tricks on you.. if it is really distressing to you then get back to your doctor for a check up to give you peace of mind.

• Posted

Hi thanks for your advice u always seem to make me feel better even if it's just for a short while so thanks, I went back to my doctor who explained that I started fluoxetine on 25 November 20mg then on 21st December upped the dose to 40mg, so that's not that long ago, she said she thought the leg pain and heightened anxiety was the tablets side effects and hopefully they will go away, it's the health anxiety what is really upsetting my life at the minute constant dark thoughts about health, I had a good day yesterday I smiled even laughed, woken up today really anxious is this normal? When I was on sertraline I never really had bad days that I can remember x

• Posted

It is perfectly normal to have some good times and then feel crappy again and feel like you are going backwards again.. I even have those days still. But it will get better.
    • Posted

Really? I seem to wake up feeling really anxious and need the toilet can it affect your bowels? I am really thankful

To how helpful you are

• Posted

Hi hope you dont mind iv just been reading through the convo, i find this site so helpful especialy when im havin a bad day!

How did you know to increase to 40mg? Iv been on 20mg for 9weeks now and even tho i am better than i was the side effects have been awful. Im still very anxious, everythin i an effort and im just so awarw of how far from 'normal' i am.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.