Does everyone get side effects from MXT?

Posted , 14 users are following.

I will be taking my first dose of MTX this week for my RA after putting it off for half a year.  Reading through the discussions on the forum I am getting the impression that everyone gets unpleasant side effects of some sort. Does anyone know if there are people who have not had nasty side effects? Is there hope?

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Judith, you don't say what strength your dosage is and I assume it is weekly.  The folic acid is very important to take as this offsets some of the side effects.  Not everyone suffers with bad side effects anyway and in my case the positives far outweigh the negatives anyway.  Good luck and there is hope!

• Posted

Hi Maggie,  thanks for your reply and the good-luck wishes.  I will be on a 12.5mg weekly doses + the folic acid.  I also tend to look after myself quite well, I like to think, with my aip diet (autoimmune paleo) and exercise (as much as my RA allows me to).  Lets see how I go...
  • Posted

Hi Judith

I had slight nausea to begin with but after a couple of months had to come off it as my enzymes in my liver were raised, I had a break from it for about 6 weeks then back on it since the beginning of October together with a steroid injection as I was having problems with my fingers and pains. The injection took about 3 days and then I felt like the old me again, I must add that I was taking folic acid once a week before and now I take every day apart from methotrexate day, I take 15 mg of methotrexate and I have to say I feel great, I went to a new class tonight called skinny pigs a high intense class which I loved, the only side effect that bugs me is my hair is suffering a bit, I feel it's snapping and I am malting more, but having said that before I was ever diagnosed I noticed it thinning a bit at the temples so it could just be getting older doing it, I will be 59 in may. I go for my monthly blood test tomorrow so fingers crossed I will be ok, the methotrexate should of kicked in by now and if it works for you is absolutely amazing, good luck Judith and keep us updated on how you feel x

• Posted

HI Shirlee,   thanks for you reply. It's good to hear some hopeful feedback. I took the prescript 5 pills (12.5mg) last nigh and slept like a baby and feeling tiptop today - so far so good but it's still early days. Aparently I should not take any ibuprofens to take the edge of any inflammations and pain until the MTX kicks in hopefully in the next 3months.  The chemist gave me some paracitamol for the pain/discomfort in my hands, feed and knees.  On top of that I take turmeric, and fish oils capsuls on a daily basis.  I also have been more or less following the aip diet (autoimmune paleo) for some time.  Basically I am trying to do everything possible, within common sense, to give my system the best chance to cope with RA and any meds so I can contiune living my life without too many sacrifices.  Having said that I had to step back from some of the sports a bit (mainly karate) but I am very exited to start my 1st tai chi class next week - maybe it's time for a change.  I just feel at the age of still 49 (50 in july) I am too young to let myself being demoralised by RA.  I am hopeful.  x

• Posted

Hi Judith...I have been taking Methotrexate for the last 6mths or more having been on steroids and having terrible side effects being on the steroids long term. I know that without this drug I couldn't have got off steroids or even function with my Chronic Urticaria....I get to live my life a lot more with it than without. Apart from hair getting a bit thinner and not as glossy as it once was...luckily my hair was thick..plus I have monthly blood tests and they keep an eye on my organs and bloods..I hope that helps. Good luck

• Posted

Hi Delila,  thanks for your reply.  It is really good to hear that MTX can work without too many terrrible side effects.  The hair loss/thinning worries me a bit.  I shall be having bi weekly blood test and also will see my RA nurse at the end of the month and at the end of feb the rheumatologiest himself. I just took my frist lot of MTX last night and so far I feel normal but it's early days - I am hopeful though. x

• Posted

judith09301. Best of wishes to you. i hope you will be as fortunate as i have been with this medication.i am a 55 year old male. active, dont drink or smoke.I started takeing methotrexate 15 mg oraly once a week and 1 mg folic acid every day.  on august 15th 2015. this is to treat psoriatic arthritis, psoriasis on skin and fingernails. i had at first some minor mouth sores for a couple of months. so i can't say i never had side effects. however for the last year i have suffered none of the side effects mentioned in the leaflet that comes with the medication. i have increased 3 months ago to injection of1 Ml or 25 Mg subcutainously 1 time a week. still no side effects. Best of wishes to you.

• Posted

Hi Mr Todd,  thanks for your 'hopeful' reply.  I took my first 12.5gm last night and I feel absolutly normal today also I am aware that it is still very early days.  My chemist told me (he knows me quite well) that he doens't think I should get any bad side effects.  So I am hopeful.  x

• Posted

The injection is not metabolised directly through the digestive system, so there are fewer liver side effects.
  • Posted

I had 0)% immune system with sulafalzide and developed sepsis but since taking MTX I have had no, apparent, side effects. I only take 10mg a week though as need to be careful that my immune system doesnt crash as it did with the different medication. I do not know what the longer term side effects are -and don't , feel very well supported with information as the waiting list for treatment at the mineral hospital in Bath is very long

• Posted

Hi John,  thanks for your reply.  I was on Sulfazalazine too for about a year.  It worked fine for a few months but then suddenly I got strong flairs of inflammation and had a couple of guided steroid injections which worked wonders for 3 months.  Now I have just started on MTX and I feel fine although it is early days.  I do however remain hopeful.  Just one question:  What is the mineral hospital in Bath?   x
    • Posted

The mineral water Hospital in Bath is a national centre for arthritis and it also has many research studies. That said, whilst the Doctor's say when seeing you that the next appointment will be in 6 months-it never is as there is such a waiting list

• Posted

Judith, I had essentially the same experience with Sulfasalazine!  It seemed to be working fine along with plaquenil, but less than a week after I doubled the dose (I was more fatigued and having more hand and wrist pain) I had a terrible flare which caused serious pain and swelling in my knee.  I had a cortisone shot for that, which helped very much, but my rheumatologist just switched me to methotrexate instead of sulfasalazine.  Fingers crossed it works!  (No side effects so far, I took my first weekly dose last night.)
    • Posted

Hi. Your story sound very similar to mine. After a couple of cortisone injections my rheumatologist moved me over to MTX.  I started 2 weeks ago and so far I have been feeling fine - no side effects. I am still taking Sulfasalazine as well until the MTX will kick in (I hope).  I also rub my hands, feed and knees with Voltarol which I find helps a bit.  A hot shower/bath seems to ease up any discomfort as well.  I wish you good luck on the MTX journey.
  • Posted

Hi. I've just had my dose upped to 12.5mg as I had residual inflammation in my index finger knuckles. This is the second time I've been prescribed Methotrexate as the rheumatoid settled for a couple of years and then came back with bells and whistles. I had all sorts of side effects on the tablets but find the injections work brilliantly for me with virtually no side effects - just fleeting feelings of nausea which disappear as soon as they arrive. Another major plus for me is that I'm back knitting and sewing. Good luck. A

• Posted

Hi Alison.  I have been taking MXT for 4 weeks now and I am happy to say that I have had no side effects so far.  I think I have already noticed a slight relieve from RA in my hands.  I still take 2x2 tablets of Sulfazalazine as well and of course ones a week one folic acid tablet.  Someone on the forum suggested to take the MTX tablets before going to bed together with plenty of water which could have helped avoiding sides - maybe.  I also find that regular, gentle excersise helps.  Recently I started tai chi lessons, I also cycle whenever I can, swim, walk and play the clarinet in an amateur orchestra (really helps my fingers!)  I whish you the best of luck with your journey and glad to read that you can knit and sew again. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.