Cause of hip/groin pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been experiencing pain in my groin/hip for about 4/5 months now.  It started in my outer hip and radiated down my thigh.  The pain starts after standing/walking for a while and also if I sit for too long and my hip clicks when I walk.  It also hurts at night if I lie on my other side.  I went to the doctor about about 3 months ago and she said it sounded like my hip was irritated.  She told me to keep taking painkillers and anti-inflammatories.  She also gave me an anti-inflammatory gel to use twice a day. 

Since then my hip has gotten worse.  It now hurts everyday instead of intermittently.  I've also got pain in my groin when walking, when getting in and out of the car, when driving (changing gear) and if I stand on that leg.  If I lie down and bring my knees to my chest, as I lower my legs my hips makes a clunk which is very painful.

Any idea what this could be?  I have hypermobility so whenever I go to the doctor with a joint complaint they just put it down to that and tell me to take more painkillers.  If it's my hypermobility then fair enough but I don't want it to be dismissed as that if it might be something else.  I've been trying to make an appointment to see my GP but I've been unlucky so far and don't see me getting an appointment before the end of January.

All advice welcome.  This is really interfering with my life.  I've been resting as much as possible but it doesn't seem to be helping.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Have you had an x-ray yet? That usually tells the tale about bone issues and whether you have osteoarthritis or not, and how bad it is. It's a simple thing and should be ordered right away, in my opinion! If bones/cartilage are fine, then it would be a soft tissue problem, and that can be diagnosed by musculoskeletal diagnostic ultrasound or MRI. Be a squeaky wheel, don't let them get away without proper investigation into what's wrong!

• Posted

Thanks!  I haven't had any tests at all yet.  I lucked out and managed to get a cancellation with my preferred GP for this afternoon so I'm hoping she'll be more helpful.  To be honest though, they seem really reluctant to do much other than prescribe me painkillers/anti-inflammatories which I hate taking because they kill my stomach.

• Posted

My doctor said I have hip bursitis and have sent an urgent referral to physio for me so hopefully I'll start getting treatment soon.  Thanks for your advice.

• Posted

My current and most immobilizing problem is nearly identical to yours. However I have had osteo arthritis for half a century and degenerative disk disease which is the usual cause of the same sciatica symptoms due to narrowing of the nerve space for the main branch of the spinal cord. I have been treated with PT many times and have started again yesterday. This time the therapist feels my hip is involved as well. I am usually on the Polymyalgia forum but the symptoms have led here and I am interested in following your progress. Pain control is very important but I cannot use NSAIDS as I have kidney disease and I'm trying to stay away from the next level of meds. Let me know how it goes and I'll post my progress.

Paul

• Posted

Will do.  For pain I'm already taking Naproxen and Co-Codamol for MDI in my shoulder.  The painkillers, etc help but I'm still in a lot of pain.  I don't really want to start taking anything else because the ones I'm on already kill my stomach.  My GP gave me a new cream for my hip which is made with chilies called zacin cream.  She said it should be more effective than the anti-infalmmatory gel I was given before (which she said wouldn't make much difference to me as I'm already taking anti-inflammatories.)

She said physio is the best treatment.  Not only for strengthening exercises but things like ultrasound helps with bursitis.  I'm already seeing a physio for my shoulder so I'm going to talk to her about it on 16/01.  I'm not sure if she'll be treating me or if I'll be seeing a different physio because it's a different body part.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.