Head pains

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just over 2 weeks ago I got these really big painful shooting pains going through the right side of my head through my eye, it was so bad I was hitting my head to try and stop it, I didn't know what to do. It lasted only about 10 seconds. Since then my head hasn't felt right, I've had a few headaches that go with pain killers. But I seem to have this constant dull ache still there. The odd mild shooting pain. I also get an aching around the eye socket and slightly down the side of my nose. I've been getting lightheaded at times, sometimes even when sitting still. I am 49 year old female. I am on blood pressure meds. I was ok before the shooting pain. I keep worrying I have something wrong going on in my brain. I have no other symptoms.sometimes I also feel my heart racing, but I think I might be in a panic sometimes. I am taking vitamin d for deficiancy and also iron because I was anemic. I can't help thinking I'm also in perimenopause, so wonder if that's anything to do with it. I will be seeing my dr tomorrow but I have little faith in him. He will probably say it's a virus. He always does when he doesn't know. I do suffer with migraines that I get every month or two. And it's in the same area of the shooting pain that I got. But this feels very different. Thank you for any answers.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Fiona,

Have you ever had an MRI scan to make sure all is ok?  You need to see a Neurologist to get a proper diagnosis then you can get the proper meds to deal with this.  Its possible it could be cluster headache, but you should see the Neuro first.  Have you ever tried Sumatriptan to deal with the pain?  This could be a good one to try as its very popular to use.  You can get it in tablet, epipen injection and a nasal spray.  DOnt let them fob you off that what you are feeling is some kind of virus as some drs dont recognise headaches as being an issue.

Good luck Fiona and take care.

Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

• Posted

No I haven't had any tests yet, seeing the dr today as first visit. I do have that medication in tablet form, I've been to scared to try for some strange reason. I woke with a headache today but feels like a migraine starting. That stabbing pain I looked up and sounded like an ice pick headache. But never had cluster headaches before. Just hope my dr takes me seriously. Thanks for the reply. 

• Posted

Hi Fiona,

Sumatriptan if you havent taken it before it can make you a bit drousy, but if you arent driving it will soon wear off, but the main thing is it should get rid of your headache.

Good luck at the drs and consider nagging him to send you for a scan and referal to a neuro as this is the best course of action to help you.

Do update us on how you get on.

Best wishes take care

• Posted

I had the worst headache of my life and they found an aneurysm in my brain. So don't play with the headaches or your Dr. My first  Dr., blew me off saying I just needed steroids and that could have killed me.

• Posted

Wow!  Your post should be on every drs desk.  They like to fob people off with headaches.

I imagine you had an MRI to diagnose this Rebekah.  How are you doing now, did they repair the aneurysm?

• Posted

I've been to drs and he reckons it's a migraine. I've looked up headaches and think I had an ice pick headache that has maybe turned into a migraine. It's easing a bit now with ibuprofen.but I need to get some stronger ones tomorrow.

Did you headache not ease at all? Did you have any other symptoms?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.