please help i want to eat again

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have this sensation in my thoart when i eat that i feel like im going to choke , the food goes down but feels like it is stuck for a while before it goes down, I get depressed because alot of the time I dont eat because im afraid, I was diagnosed with acid reflux about 5 yrs ago and they told me i had narrawing of esoguagus and i understand that but now they say I have esogugus spasms im so upset what can i do to help me eat, the doctors havent done anything for me

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It's horrible, isn't it? Welcome to the world of ES and globus sensation. I started with severe stomach pain, globus and constant- not intermittent- spasms of my esophagus. All scopes, CT scans, Small Bowel follow-through, pepita scan, ultrasound, etc were negative. Except the Namometry. It showed severe spasms, not quite nutcracker, but close. Have you had a Namometry? That will confirm if you truly have the spasms and what kind. An EGD will tell you if you have GERD, but that doesn't always mean anything, especially if treatment for GERD either makes things worse (like it did in my case, even though I had no GERD!) or doesn't help the globus or spasms. I have coordinated spasms, but on GERD, so they don't know what's causing my globus or spasms. One GI Dr. Thinks it's connected to my PTSD. I agree. I got some relief from levbid 2 x daily (smooth muscle relaxer) and Buspar 2x daily ( anxiolytic). The calcium channel blockers did nothing for me.

Like you, I was terrified of eatin. I lost 30 ponds in 6 weeks. I stayed on the Levbid and Buspar for 12 weeks and found one thing I could eat that actually reduced my stomach pain, globus and spasms. I could eat Beef Pho without onions and minus the sliced beef. I could do the rice noodles. It seemed to be so healing to me in every way. I started making my own. Now14 weeks later, I'm off the levbid and Buspar is cut in half. I started seeing a naturopath who put me on powdered magnesium maleate and a oz bile supplement. My globus is rarely noticeable and my spasms are rare. Remember, it felt like a constant spasm for me - constantly choking and feeling like my esophagus was twisting.

I believe Drs just don't know how to deal with this. It's up to us to find what unique things will help us. I also Researched this symptom in Traditional Chinese Medicine. Look up Plum Pit Qi. It's a dead ringer. My next step is to get started on the formula recommended in TCM to address underlying causes. Waiting for my appointment with a practitioner.

I'm sorry you are struggling. PM with any questions. It IS possible to get better!!!!

Rebecca

• Posted

Thank you so much, I appreiate all the help, i havent had the Namometry yet but i need one to see excatley whats going on, I get so depressed because i want to eat again like normal people and none of my family understands , they say you are fine the food is going down, they dont understand how it feels. So you said the magnesuim helps ? I need to try things you said because im so upset , i want to eat again. I go days without eating, Im so glad your better and so far no doctor has helped me as I have had many tests and yea i do have narrowing of the esosugus but i have had that streched but Im going to try somje of these things, but it seems like forever to get into my GI doctor. Thanks for your help
    • Posted

Hey Paula,

Would your PCP try you on Levbid and Buspar? Both meds are indicated for motility issues and honesty, I think they helped me get to the spot I'm at now. The magnesium maleate tastes awful! Just to warn you. I don't think it would have helped early on because it was so hard to swallow - even water!

Yes, it's depressing. You're right. It really messes with your head, doesn't it? I never thought I'd be "normal" and be able to eat a meal with family. Just keep trying little things. I eventually found that NOT eating made my spasms worse. But, i had to find something that didn't hurt so bad after eating it. That's where the Pho came in. Oh, and chai tea late. I never would have thought all those warming spices would feel good on my raw esophagus and stomach. But, they did. I could even sip it made with cow milk, which my GI Dr said to avoid at all cost. Here's what I know: push past the fear and experiment. Don't keep negative thoughts inside - talk with someone you trust. There's a direct correlation between the GI tract and our psycho-emotional state, especially fear and trauma.

PM me anytime. Gentle thoughts of healing to you.

Rebecca

• Posted

Thank you so much u have really helped me alot considering no doctor wants to listen and family gets sick of hearing me but i wish they would understand thanks !!!@
    • Posted

You are welcome, Paula. This is a great place for support. It's helped me very much. Keep us posted!

Lots of good vibes coming your way!

Rebecca

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.