Pre Tibial myxodaema

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with Graves in 2011, I then got Thyroid Eye Disease also 2011.

I was told by my endo consultant in 2013 that I had Pre Tibial Myxodaema which is also caused by the Graves & is allied to TED. I had a hemi, then completion thyroidectomy in 2014 because of carcinoma of the thyroid. I could not have radio iodine due to the TED.

My question is this, now I no longer have a thyroid can I expect my PTM symptoms to gradually subside? My left leg is particularly badly 'scarred'. My endo said that there was no cure for PTM it should fade & no treatment! He said look it up on the net! (That was in 2013).

I've had an ulcer on my right leg, 2014, which after going to hospital for tests showed my circulation was good, venous & arterial. (Thankfully the ulcer cleared up the next year). The leg ulcer service nurse has assumed it was due to the PTM. I had TKR on my r leg 11 weeks ago & hope it doesn't affect my recovery. So far so good!

Can I expect to have trouble forever?

Does anyone else out there have PTM? Any ideas as to treatment? I'm due to see endo in May.

Thanks for any input.

Happy NewYear folks

Marilyn

XX

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

People with autoimmune disorders (especially thyroid disorders such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and Grave’s disease) Type 1 diabetes, vitiligo, lupus, Addison’s disease, ulcerative colitis, infertility, acquired agammaglobulinemia, or a family history of these disorders among other reasons are liable to become Vitamin B12 Deficient.
    • Posted

Hi Clive,

Thanks for your reply, I've had pernicious anaemia since 1999, no1 auto immune disease of mine.

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Sadly Vitamin B12 Deficiency is not that well understood by the medical profession these days and is often overlooked by GPs.

I've had P.A. for 45 years following gastric surgery back in 1959 for a perforated peptic ulcer at the tender age of 17.  It took 13 years and two Schillling tests before I eventually got the diagnosis, by which time I was a walking "Zombie" and "threatened" with a diet of raw liver three times a day.  However I'm still "clivealive" at 75 thanks to God and my lttle "shots of RedX" (as I call them) B12 injections.

Unfortunately autoimmune diseases tend to come along like corporation buses and I am so sorry you are having your additional problems and can only wish you well for 2017.

Take care now.

• Posted

Hi Clive

Thank you for you reply.

I must say i was lucky in that my gp was on it straight away with the blood tests & I started treatment pretty quickly. She also warned me about thyroid disease which hit some 12 years later, unfortunately she left the practice shortly after, had as I would like to ask her about PTM as most medics give me blank looks when I mention it!

Happy new year.

Marilyn

XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.