Planning a long haul flight to Australia.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, we are planning a long haul flight to Australia. I have been using the new entercept injections for the last 3 months. I just wondered if anyone can advice me on how to keep the injections at the correct temp required, whilst travelling for at least 21 hours. I believe I need a cooler bag to carry the syringes, but I don't think the airlines allow you to use their fridges. I would be grateful for any advice. Thanks.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Linda,

I also was on Entercept untill it started to make me ill, the Pharmasist sent me a small cool bag with an ice pack you put in the freezer, iam presuming you have also saked them for your travel letter for security just incase..? if not you need one so you need to callyour suplier and asked them if they can send you one of their small travel bags with the cool pack. I hope this has helped you a little bit.

• Posted

Thanks Stretchy for your help. I did know about the letter needed, plus cooler bag. The problem I have is, we are staying at the airport hotel the night before , because of an early flight. I'm hoping the room we have has a fridge to put the cooler packs in ready to go in the morning. I rang the injection company Monday, someone is supposed to be ringing me back to advise. Still waiting. I suppose it's the first time and not used to having to think about it all. Thanks again.

• Posted

Hi Linda, I ve jut finished sorting out the same thing for my Abatacept drug which has to be kept between 2 and 8 degrees. As i live in the uk and drug companies are somewhat greedy, I bought a cooler, they dont provide them. I just got the smallest thickest that would hold the syringes . The airline said I can take up to 10 freezer packs but they cant contain more than 100ml (had quite forgotten that). My flight is only a few hours within europe, but it will still be a 8/9 hr journey to destination i would also add tell the airline that you are carrying the drug as carry on, you will need a letter from gp or Rheumatologist stating what it us too. If you have a temp gauge in the cooler bag you could get some ice at a push from the bar . Take a couple of small ziplocks to put the ice into. Sorry to be long einded but ai just did all of

This and dont want to miss anything for you. Hope its helpful. Have a great and safe trip!

it

• Posted

When I went to Bali a couple of years ago I used a thermos with Techni Ice to store ny insulin in.
    • Posted

Hi Linda. I am about to start on humira and what I learnt while on orencia is that the companies help. I googled humira and called a number and I'm not only getting help with my co pay but they sent me a syringe disposal container and travel bags with ice packs.

So just google the med and call, they might have a solution for you. If not then use a freezer pack and ice in a small container but you'll probably need something to explain that to security at the airport...

Hope I was of some help. Have a safe trip.

• Posted

Hi Kinjo, thank you for your advice. I actually rang the meds company this am. He advised where I can buy a special cooler bag that lasts 36 hours. Expensive but works, so I'm told. Very helpful though. Also need a letter of proof for drugs. Feeling a bit more confident now, thanks for your support.

• Posted

Hi Linda. When I went to Australia I bought a cooler bag which lasted for 20 hrs. I also had my prescription and a letter from my dispensing company. I don't think that Etanercept can be put through the scanner. I didn't have any problem at security or on the airline. I hope you get it sorted and have a great time.

• Posted

Linda, you should also have the meds in the original bottle/box as dispensed with the pharmacy instructions.

I took that with me when I travelled and to my disappointment no one at security asked me anything but at least I was prepared.

• Posted

I have flown quite a bit with my Cimzia syringe in ice packs.  Just to say that I have always been treated so well when going through security with it.  I always feel that I get much better treatment than normal. They are so kind and helpful! Good luck with your travel Linda! 

• Posted

Hi Esther, that's reassuring to know and worry less. Thank you. 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.