Chest discomfort, should I be worried?

Posted , 3 users are following.

For the past 4 days now I've been experiencing some discomfort in my lower right rib cage area. It feels as if it's poking me, and it gets more uncomfortable when I deep breath in (which I do pretty frequently). It doesn't hurt for the most part, but it's really uncomfortable. What should I do? I'm 16 by the way, with no scoliosis or other deformities as such.

Thank you!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I would also like to mention that I haven't had an injuries or accidents before this... My mother says it's because of my sleeping habit (sleeping on one side), but I don't know...

• Posted

It sounds like you may have cracked a rib , could you have injured yourself without realising perhaps during sports or other activities , I would advise an x Ray to be on the safe side .
    • Posted

Thank you for your suggestion! I don't think I've done any activities to cause a rib to crack, but I'll wait and see if my symptoms persist and see my doc smile

• Posted

I'm sure it's nothing to worry about it just reminded me of symptoms I had a few years ago but I felt it in my back and a friend said I may have bruised a rib somehow , the pain lasted for about 3 weeks and then just went, but it was more discomfort and mild pain, I'm sure you will be fine in a couple of weeks , best wishes

• Posted

It may be the tiny muscles that are between your ribs. Sometimes these can be stretched or  inflamed and can cause a lot of pain as the ribs move with breathing. It takes a while and a bit of patience while it heals ,but if this should spread or become very painful you need medical attention especially if you find it difficult to breathe.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.