Severe pain in lower right leg. Comes and goes every minute and is very sharp?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey! Thank you for reading. I am a 21 year old female. For about 24 hours now ive had this pain in my lower right leg. I cant really pinpoint it, if you asked me I would just point generally to my knee/calf region. It feels VERY sharp and kinda radiates like a spider web. It comes every 30 seconds to every minute. Its so bad it wakes me up at night. I tried taking aleve and nothing has helped. I havent done anything strenuous lately. I cant figure out what this could be and its worrying me because ive never felt a pain that felt quite like this before. Its also a little harder and feels weaker than my other leg. Has anyone experienced this? Do you think its worth going to the doctor for?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Yes, you should seek help as soon as you are able to. It could be something serious such as a blood clot. I am not sure why that thought came to me? Never ignore health issues they can turn your life around in a heartbeat! Best of luck and I am so sorry you are fighting this pain.??🌷

• Posted

Hello .. I'm no expert but it sound similar to pain I experience and it's sciatica .. when nerves are trapped or pressed...

But it could be many other things too I also had that pain when I tore a ligament in my knee.. I'd suggest going to your gp if it continues over the next 24 hours xxxx

• Posted

No this classic blood clot symptoms. I've had a blood clot and I know what it feels like. Get to the emergency room ASAP.

• Posted

Thanks everyone for responding. I'm going as soon as I can.

• Posted

Hello Cait, 

Yes. Especially if you are on birth control see a doctor right away, weakness accompanied by calf and knee pain. It could be a blood clot. 

Here is a story from a young active female that died. It is not intended to diagnose your symptoms but just the weakness and the location of pain /type of pain is a signal that something is wrong. 

Anna Frutiger  [Anna Frutiger] embodied brains, beauty, compassion, athleticism, and as such, seemed the picture of health while she was living her dream of becoming a dentist. No one expected that a blood clot would end her dream, and it seemed beyond belief that Anna died on May 20th, 2010 from a pulmonary embolism (PE) due to an undiagnosed deep vein thrombosis (DVT), a month after her 23rd birthday.

Anna felt pain behind her knee and in her calf four months before she died, and she attributed her pain to the stress and strain of training for a half marathon or a muscle pull.  Her friends at dental school noted that she limped, and Anna was aware of becoming short of breath whenever she ran.

When her leg pain persisted, Anna saw an orthopedic surgeon who found no injury to suggest a muscle pull. After a thorough physical and review of her medical history, her doctor suspected a blood clot in her lower leg. Anna’s only known risk factor was that she was taking a third generation birth control pill.  Results of an Ultrasound/Doppler of her leg were negative for DVT.  At a follow-up to that exam 3 weeks later, her leg was normal shape and size, and she no longer felt any leg pain.  As a result, her doctor discharged her.

After her first year finals at the University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine, Anna traveled quite a bit, and flew for six hours over two consecutive weekends, then went to see friends in New York City the next two weekends which involved an eight hour bus trip with one ten minute stop.  Anna complained of not being able to breathe easily when she carried groceries up to her apartment right after the bus trip.  She told her parents that her symptoms were probably stress–related, since vacation was over, and the demands of school were resuming.

The next morning, Anna called her best friend to drive her to school because she felt extremely weak and didn’t think she could walk on her own.  She wanted to push herself to class, because she had two quizzes that day.  Anna collapsed on the lawn outside her apartment after walking downstairs, and blacked out for several seconds.  Her friend called 911 and an ambulance arrived within minutes. Anna was conscious at that point, and asked her friends to call her parents in Michigan.

Anna made it to the Emergency Room, but had a cardiopulmonary arrest a few minutes after she arrived.  She was immediately taken to surgery to try to dislodge the huge blood clot that caused her massive PE.  Over the next two days, a team of doctors and nurses worked round the clock to keep Anna alive in hopes that a miracle would happen, something her family and friends wished for with all their hearts.  Her family was euphoric two days later, because she moved her arms during the night, and their hope was that she would awake from her coma.  Their hopes were dashed almost immediately when the neurological tests showed that she no longer had brain activity.  Anna’s family had to make the agonizing decision to remove life support.

Despite their grief, they chose to donate Anna’s organs. Anna gave life to another, so continues to be life-giving even after her death.

Her doctors immediately tested her family and found no genetic blood clotting disorders.  Her autopsy determined that Anna was not predisposed to blood clots.  It seems that the birth control pill and her concentrated travel in one month were her major clotting risks.

Good luck to you! I hope you see your doctor soon. Know the signs of dvt but also know this: A lot of people have died without the signs. I think the signs of DVT are helpful but they are more geared toward: Someone who is about to end up in the ER/Hospital or Dead. You want to catch things early before anything bad happens. Keep a diary about your pain too. 

• Posted

Hello Sry it's been a long time since I've been here ok sounds like ur si

nerve is bugging u or ur bursa just below ur knee u should see a doc asap

could be more serious did u bang ur legs or bump in to something really

hard enought for u to say naa or oops it's nothing and latter like 2 or 3

days latter u feel something rong

Let me know

Cheers

boom

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.