Lamictal and decongestants

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, I do not suffer from epilepsy, but could only figure out how to post a forums about lamictal here. I used lamictal as a mood stabilizer. I am suffering from severe head congestion. Mucous, sinus pressure, headache, ear problems (all of it!) I have looked things up about lamictal and decongestants and have gotten nowhere. I have seen mixed answers.. My question is this. For any of you experienced lamictal users, am I safe to take lamictal and decongestants? Are there any specific ones I should take? I am on the generic version of lamictal 150mg total.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The best person to ask is your pharmacist. They will know the possible interactions.

Its best to ask them first.

• Posted

I have. The answers were wishy-washy. I asked about a Tylenol brand & was told that the antihistamine in it would be the main cause of concern due to increased drowsiness etc. however said nothing about the active ingredient for the decongestant (I asked specifically about) Thankfully I am feeling much better now, which is odd because as I wrote that post last night, I felt like my head was going to explode! I was just wondering if anyone has had personal experience with both drugs. Thank you for your response!

• Posted

As I nderstand it anti histamines are contraindicated in epilepsy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.