Does avoiding food for a day help with an IBS flareup?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a coeliac and recently been told I'm suffering from IBS too. Should I avoid food for 24 hours if I feel I'll?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

It doesn't work that way sweetheat. Let me start of by saying, because everyone is different (meaning genetic makekup, tolerance levels, etc, etc), the way you take care of yourfself will be differnt as well. However, by all means continue to get input to see how others that have it take care of themselves.

Second, cutting food out for 24 hours is not healthy, that will not solve anything, in fact, it will make you sicker with additional problems/complications. I highly recommend that you go over the FODMOD list, it is extremely helpful, and gives you an immediate guide as to what foods are safe, or safer to eat.

Again, I can't stresse enough, NEVER just cutt food out for 24 hours, in fact, not even 6 hours on purpose. These can cause shock to your metabolism. It is not good on so many levels. If your stomach is tender, it is better to drink chicken broth and try to sooth and come down your stomach. Perhaps a warm herbal tea such as pepperment, ginger, and or cham. which all are known for calming the stomach.

• Posted

I am on the FODMAP diet but was naughty ! I suffer from gas and constipation. Thanks very much for all your helpful comments x
  • Posted

Avoiding food is not likely to be helpful. I would suggest that during a flare up you stick rigidly to Low FODMAP foods - you will still be getting all the nutrients you need but foods low in FODMAPs are less likely to irritate the bowel. My GP has told me that taking something like Immodium is perfectly safe during a flare up. 

Hope you're feeling better soon. 

Jan

• Posted

Immodium is a miracle drug. It is actually safe enough for daily use. However, immodium helps with diarrhea, not with the spasms. I had to get a different perscription for that. Also, it becomes a balancing act when your IBS is accompanied with gas. Be mindful not to take too much immodium when you have gass, cause you'll get upset stomach 'cause the gas can't come out. Drinking strong ginger tea has really helped me with that. @JoanneG46

• Posted

I suffer with constipation, never lose. Think I'll try ginger in tea and water kefir, which I'd easy to make. Been gluten free for 2 years and on low FODMAP diet for about a month x

• Posted

Yes been gluten free for 2 years and been on low FODMAP diet about a month although over Christmas not that strict on the latter ! Will be now x
    • Posted

Oh my goodness! Isn't the FODMAP great!?!? It really does take out the stress of not knowing what to eat on a particular day.

• Posted

Try something bland like  rice in stock, if you really need to stop eating.

Ibs, stopping food will not help, you could ask to see a dietician and they will help you control your diet, and Ibs. You will need tofollow a Coeliac diet and the dietician will help you

BOB

• Posted

Been gluten free for 2 years and on low FODMAP diet about a month. Will try ginger teas and water kefir x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.