Svt triggers

Posted , 4 users are following.

I haven't formally been diagnosed with SVT however have now had 4 attacks. The last was the worst and lasted over 40minutes. I had to go to the emergency department at the hospital and have intervention, where I had an injection to slow my heart rate down. After doubling the normal dosage, my heart rate decreased from 220bpm to 130bpm.for two days after this happened I had stabbing pains in my chest - I am putting the pain down to the muscles recovering.

on the last 2 occasions that it has happened I noticed it occurred after bending forward. I am now very conscious not to bend forward . If anyone else has tips on what to avoid to stop them triggering that would be great to know.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

HI Lara.

SVT symptoms, triggers and ways of trying to avoid it vary from person to person. This is probably also true of techniques people use to try to end an episode once it has started: they seem to work quite well for some people but hardly at all for others. 

I had SVT for about 20 years until an ablation cured me of it about 5 years ago. My most common triggers were caffeine, mental or emotional stress and sudden gravity movements like bending down to pick up something dropped. I cut out caffeine completely (even decaff which still triggered SVT) and managed quite well most of the time to avoid stress and sudden bending movements. But SVT most often came completely out of the blue when I was relaxed and there was no cause I could identify. 

It might be worthwhile browsing through earlier posts on this forum when you get a chance because I would guess at this stage all of the common triggers, symptoms and ways of managing SVT have been covered quite well.smile

• Posted

I don't think you can stop them maybe do your best to prevent them but then you wouldn't live your life! I was laughing yesterday and my heart started trying to go into SVT which instantly sent me feeling rubbish. It also happens when I'm chilling out watching tele. I think the best thing to do is read up what you can about SVT and the possible triggers t avoid, but most of all live your life. If it's true what they say that it won't harm us then have that bar of chocolate or that glass of wine and be happy and tell yourself if it happens I'll be ok I might have to go to hospital again but that's all you will be home the same day it's just a huge inconvenience for us suffering I hope you get peace from it one day. I'm waiting for an ablation currently x

• Posted

Thanks XxaimxX, it is nice to have the encouragement to just keep living life as normal. It's also good to know it won't harm us, and is more a nuisance than anything. It was scary the last time it happened, and I wasn't told much about it by the doctor, only that it is common in people in their 20s-30s particularly women. So I had no clue whether it was life threatening or what. If it happens again they will refer me to a cardiologist so now it's just a waiting game. It is comforting to know there are others out there that are going through the same, I just need to focus on getting on with life and not keep fearing when it's going to happen again. Thank you smile

• Posted

I'm pleased to see you reciving good, solid advice and encouragement, Lara, and even more pleased to see your response.  Many, many people do very well with their SVT, and ablation can give most of those an actual cure. We all wish you sell.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.