Do cold temperatures cause pain in your joints?

Posted , 4 users are following.

My diagnosis is still up in the air, so I am not sure what to attribute my hand stiffness and pain to.  The temps were in the 60's for the past few weeks and my hands were completely fine, but yesterday temps dropped to the 30's and my hands are achy and a tad bit painful today.  Is it more likely osteoarthritis reacting to the cold weather, or beginnings of RA?  

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi mom to 6 9 12.

?I have rheumatoid arthritis and the temperature certainly makes a difference to my joints. If it's cold in UK my joints are bad and when I went to Australia and the temp was 40 degrees I was crippled. I'm sorry I can't be more help but hope you get a diagnosis and can start treatment that will help.

• Posted

I have asked my rheumatologist this question as I have Fibro-osteoarthritis

and my husband has Rheumatoid.He said yes it does affect our conditions

I can verify that each time the weather turns cold and for me that is below

60 deg,my body aches and I stiffen up more. Best advice is keep your self

warm,when you go outside if it is cold wear warm clothing even if it is to

just check the mail.Once you get a chill it is hard to ease the aches

• Posted

I don't know if it's relevant, but my Rheumy told me it has a lot to do with pressure and that low barometer pressure and low temperatures  can increase pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.