Is it even RA

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi All

I'm 34 and have got RA (apparently). I've got Anti CCP 40 and RF 75, which are positive but not as high as lots of people. My wrists, feet, ankles, knees, hands all go through times of bad pain and stiffness but not very much swelling or redness. My esr is about 60 and CRP 30. The thing is that I'm very overweight and I just worry that all my problems are due to that and that I don't actually have RA!? Thank you

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have had RA for 20 years I was a good weight with an active life and job when diagnosed however the weight piled on over the years.

There is no doubt in my mind that my RA became worse with

being overweight. especially my knees.

Despite swimming 3 times a week.

Last year when I was told a knee replacement in My Iminant

future, I decided I was going to loose a significant amount of

weight in order to postpone that outcome.

12 months and 4 stone lighter I still have my RA but I can already tell the difference my weight loss has meant. To my knees in

particular

However regardless of what you weigh your blood is showing up a RA factor and I have never been told in 20 years that it was due to my weight,

And your weight should not impact how you are treated by the

Clinic, stop beating yourself up, these feelings you are having

I think are part of the feelings you have while suffering constant pain,

Take a positive stance , take control back loose weight if you

Want to see if it helps.

What have you got to loose,

• Posted

I'm not sure about the weight but I can imagine that it could be an attributing factor to your pain.

Unfortunately for your diagnosis, I sounds like it is right. Everything for me came back fine which is primarily because I'm only 23 and it hasn't progressed completely yet but my ccp test came back fairly high which threw a red flag. The ccp test is somewhat new to the diagnosis but unlike the RA factor test, it is rarely known to show false positives. I don't have as much experience with this disease than a lot of people here but I know that I was diagnosed primarily from the ccp test and my symptoms.

Good luck with everything and I hope you receive the right medication and maybe a more qualified diagnosis than me telling you!

• Posted

Hi

it s hard to come to terms with RA diagnosis. I hope you have been given meds and advice. I m afraid your symptoms and tests all back up an RA diagnosis so the sooner they find meds that work the better as it will hold back this auto immune disease. I have never had swollen or red joints either- but extremely painful and stiff for some hours in the morning and after sitting( though much better now meds working) I have had a bmi 31 throughout ( should do something about it I know) and no one has mentioned this as a problem.

Currently my joints are good despite my weight, though obviously to loose some weight would take strain off my joints. First get to grips with the RA. Have you experienced fatigue- a common symptom? it also made me very emotional at the beginning. I hope you have supportive family and friends.all the best.

• Posted

Thank you for replying, my consultant did say I need to get skinnier (BMI around 40!!) but not because it would change my diagnosis but because it is just bad for joints in everyone. MTX really helped but it was making me ill so I stopped it and now just take plaquenil but even dr said it probably wouldn't do much on its own. I play tennis 3 times a week which I love but in loads of pain afterwards! It's all about getting a balance I guess. Dr not doubting RA but I just wish there was 100% yes or know. You might be right though, perhaps I just don't want to accept it at 34y/o. X

• Posted

Hi elle,just a quick tip for the mtx.My husband has ra and had

a hard time with it as well.He takes the liquid for which he has

to do by injection.He reduced the symptoms by doing so.

He takes it on Saturday,he would rather have his Friday and

part of his Sat before he does the injection.Many people prefer

the injection over the tabs

• Posted

If you can manage it the injections are much better for the

digestive system

I take mine Thursday but my health is questionable for about 72 hours after ranging from mild to severe digestive problems and headaches to migraines

• Posted

It would be rare to have a positive anti-CCP and not have RA either now or in the future.

Maintaining a healthy weight will definitely help your symptoms, but isn't necessarily the cause of them. It will also reduce the risk of additional wear and tear on the joints. 

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.