What is this?!

Posted , 6 users are following.

So... I really don't know what's going on, and it's kinda hard to describe right now. I'd say about 5 days ago, I received a sudden change in the vision of my right eye after getting off of my computer; for some reason now, the vision in this eye appears as if I've looked through something extremely bright and now it just won't stabilize. It's like my left eye sees things clearly but my right eye is like, I'm looking at things through a light glare, and now it's also like I'm looking through one large illusion. The eye can see, but things are slightly blurry. If I get into area with light, the symptoms are only worse and then my eye may hurt at random times, be it a dull pain or sharp pain. The peripheral vision is somewhat wonky, I can see things in it but I can't see any details. Example: I can see my fridge but because it feels like everything is just one big glare to me, I can see a small amount of I guess pressure. Left eye can see it clearly. Only way it gets WORSE is if I look at a computer screen(with a light background). Right eye can only really focus on the one word that specifically look at, anything else, I can see that the words may be there but at the same time, I only see the light background and in some areas are blind spots, where I can't see anything by light. It's like my eye was damaged somewhere but I don't know where.

I went to an eye doctor and they did a mild dilation, couldn't find anything, and blamed it on Dry Eye. Does this really sound like dry eye?

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I believe theres something called computer vision syndrome. Also if you use a cell phone say in bed at night and your laying on your side,essentially looking through your one eye,what you describe can happen. Happened to me. But mine went away after about a half hour. I believe if you try hard enough you can find info on this on the internet.That being said dry eye can caus blurring of vision and light sensitivity.
  • Posted

Google transient cell phone blindness,probably aplys to computers also
    • Posted

That makes sense, but now this even happens when I'm in broad daylight. So I assume I'm under some burn-in maybe, I just don't know why this has been concurrent for almost 6 days straight. I don't know where the problem would show within my eye physically. It's like even if I'm not on a phone, or on any device, just the light itself kind of makes me feel like I'm in a long-term state of that transient blindness, except things such as people and buildings would still be within my field of vision. The brighter the area, the more I feel this symptom until I eventually start start seeing ghost images or after images of small amounts of things when my eye moves. 

• Posted

Also google visual disturbaces. I know how you feel i get some very strange eye symptoms. Maybe its a type of burn,like if you looked at the sun too long,personally id get a second opinion.it probably will go away..maybe even a type of occular migrain which causes vision dusturbance with no headache. My symptoms caus me anxiety. Hope you find a resolution to your problem.
  • Posted

Maybe iritis or uveitis is a possibility – your iris is inflamed, causing you pain and not adjusting the light entering your eye properly. Is your eye also red? What's your vision like in dim light?

Do you not have a hospital near you with an emergency eye clinic? If you do, perhaps you should go.

• Posted

I wish it was that simple. Vision is a bit more tolerable in dim lighting. 
  • Posted

Hi there

so sorry to hear of your problem. It could be one of a number of things but sounds to me like chronic dry eye? Im not sure what level of doc you saw but Id def see an Ophtamologist, opticians and optometrists are not trained or qualified to deal with diagnosing more in depth eye issues.I developed severe dry eye following an accident and I had some of your symptoms, awful glare, halos around lights and extreme sensitivity to light. Light can be very harsh on my eyes. Dont take any chances,probably nothing serious but do see an Ophtamologist...keep us posted and good luck....!!!

• Posted

Glad to see your posts friend. Im having more dry eye,pvd bleph symptoms,cant win.Xx
  • Posted

Update:

So I went to get a second opinion for another ophthalmologist. They performed a full scan of the eyeball, and stated that it was in perfect condition... Much to my horror and some happiness. Happy that the eye is actually fine, but upset that this problem is still a mystery. They stated that this could be due to sinuses, which I did just get over a cold; however it shouldn't last this long. I don't know what to do now. 

• Posted

You could ask for an OCT scan. Its not to expensive and shows any retinal damage that sometimes cant be seen.
    • Posted

I think an OCT scan only checks the retina. A split lamp exam looks likes what's most called for – wasn't that what the ophthalmologist performed?

I believe nerves from the nose and eye are somewhat interlinked, so infection of the nerves from the nose can lead to infection of the nerves from the eye. Possibly the infection could then stay with the eye longer than it does with the nose. If it was believed that was the case, it's difficult to understand that you weren't given drops to try to kill the infection.

• Posted

No,it checks the retna,the macula,the optic nerve etc.
    • Posted

The macula is part of the retina, of course, and possibly a retinal scan would also cover the nerve connecting to the retina. I don't know how the optic nerve itself can be scanned. Isn't an OCT scan for the anterior part of the eye different from one for the retina?

• Posted

I googled it to be sure what it did,and i didnt list everything. Its compared to an mri of the eye. Ive had the test done myself. He mentions blind spots etc. Would think the retna should especially be checked.
    • Posted

Yes, I've had it done, but only for the retina.

You can also have blind spots with uveitis and the problem with bright light and the improvement in the situation in dim light strongly suggests to me (a non-medic, of course) a problem adjusting the iris. A problem with the optic nerve, I believe, often causes greater vision problems at the red end of the spectrum, but maybe not always. At this time, it's probably best not to try to rule out anything too much.

• Posted

Yes,i think ,i should say i know,if i was having the problem id seek yet another opinion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.