Itchy itchy itchy annoying eyelids!!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm hoping someone in this wonderful blepharitis community can help me with a solution for dry itchy lids . I'm truly getting desperate ! ! 😩

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I use Aveeno Eczema Cream. I wet my lids and then put just a dab of the cream on my lids and under my eyes, keeping it away from my lash lines. 
    • Posted

Thanks for that great idea! As an eczema sufferer my whole life I keep that in my arsenal and use as needed! I just never thought to use it on my lids but I'll give it a try tonight!!😊

• Posted

Hi I take it this is blepharitis, well no miracle cure but my symptoms are drastically alliviated by a daily cetrizine, which is an anti histamine, reduces symptoms by about 70% and I back that up with lacrilube ointment every night even if no symptoms apparent, and daily use a large few blobs of blephagel, do use the gel rather than wipes though, or blephasol as they are not as effective, the gel and tghe ointment take off another about 15 - 20%.  HOpe this helps, Fiona
    • Posted

Thanks Fiona ! I'm curious where do u get the blephasol or blephagel and is it used nightly only also do u use baby shampoo on your lids if not do u use something in place of it thanks again!!

• Posted

The best thing to do is to trawl through all the discussions on the site as bleph is different for each individual. As you read through it you'll be able to make a list of possible treatments to try and others to investigate. Read as much as you can about bleph as there is more than one type...anterior and posterior...together with accompanying conditions like allergies (antihistamines), rosacea, styes, excema etc. 

For everyone hygiene us the is the key to improvement. I found shampooing my eyes with undiluted johnsons baby shampoo, massaging it into the base of the lashes, a huge relief from the diabolical itching. I used some meds from Moorfields Eye Hospital for a few months when my condition was first diagnosed. I used meds on and off for about a year and thought ' it's awful, my eyes are going to look this red raw and dreadful for the rest of my life. Never wear makeup again etc'. 

However, I gradually built up a routine which works for me. It's time consuming but has easily become a part of my routine. 1. Wipe each eye upon waking with tea tree oil facial wipe (Sainsbury's); or shampoo eyes if not going back to bed with a cuppa; 2. Use heated eye mask for bleph fir 10 mins followed by cleansing each eye from melted oils from mebomian glands with tea tree facial wipes; 3. Insert eye drops for dry eyes.

i also wear specs which react to light and also have a drive safe antiglare coating. These have given me great relief for light sensitivity I.e., shops, theatre, concerts, computer screens, general lighting. White light is especially harsh. People with blue eyes are particularly susceptible to light sensitivity. Sometimes light still affects me ...the incidences are indiscriminate. 

ive not used any meds in my eyes for 18 months.

Some people use Wet Wipes but these are very strong and they do not suit everyone. Some folk use manuka honey and find it helpful. Others.use meds from the doc. It all depends on what is happening with your eyes and you will make your own journey to find out what works for you. 

Start with the shampooing, it should give some immediate relief. You may also have dry eye if your mebomian glands are not working. Heat treatment with bag or hot flannels is excellent though be careful when selecting your heat bag that it is not filled with something you are allergic to. They can contain wheat, flax .... I use a grape seed filled bag.  See him you go. Give each treatment a chance to improve your condition and only stop if you get a bad reaction. 

Read ad as much as you can on line to educate yourself about bleph and discard anything that definitely doesn't apply to you. Good luck. Sorry I've gone on a bit. Best wishes Pamela

• Posted

Have you been diagnosed with bleph or is it excema? See my answer below if bleph x
    • Posted

Sadly I've been diagnosed with both eczema is lifelong ?? Since October life has been miserable my eyes look and feel awful combine that with no make and it's truly been devastating

My new routine is warm eye soaks (today my flax seed mask arrived something which I read on this site ) followed by baby shampoo eye scrubs preservative free eye drops (also throughout day) erythromycin on lashes Allegra allergy pill allergy eye drops I also take 4 quality omega 3 fish oil capsules and doxycycline At bedtime I use systane gel eye drops I've seen little if any improvement it's beyond upsetting and to add insult to injury my daughters geyting married in May I check this site diligently scanning for things I could try (wet ones were a little harsh but I may try them again) I thank each person contributing from the bottom of my heart it's uplifting to know that people take time to share their knowledge and experience in hopes of helping a stranger !! 😎

• Posted

Terry,

Dryness  should be attacked from both sides:

dry eye itself and dry eyelids. So for dry eyes I use Ecoeyes. These are goggles that have inserts. I wet those inserts with  warm water and put on my eyes every single night for the entire night. When I don't put them on next day I am miserable.

Erythromicin ( prescrption) ointment used inside the eyelids is very soothing.

Also tea tree drops on a sterile wipe helps to soften dryness.

P.S. Ecoeyes are prescription with a nice cupon or First Street catalog

without prescription but a bit pricy. I've been using Ecoeyes even before bleph.

• Posted

Thanks Rita! Sadly the Ecoeyes won't work for me because water on eyes for any period brings out my eczema ( my eyelids r suffering ) but the tea tree drops sound great I'll look for then on line any particular one u use?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.