Grommets for retracted eardrums

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, i've been suffering from ETD since June 2016. My problems all started with an ear infection in my right ear, which went away with treatment. Then I got a infection in my left ear with fluid and that's when my real dramas started. I've taken antihistamines, decongestants, perscription nasal sprays, antibiotics etc to try to fix my ears, the fluid has drained but the retraction remains. I saw on ENT on the 21st of December who has given me a nasal spray called Dymista 125/50 to use morning and night as well as some Eustachian tube excercises to try and open my Eustachian tube otherwise on the 19th of January when I see my ENT again I will be getting grommets to correct the pressure in my ears. I went for a hearing test/tympanometry in September as i've noticed hearing loss since my eardrums went bad. Tympanometry relieved -227 in left ear and right -124. Has anyone used grommets to treat a retracted eardrum before? If so did it help or make it worse?

It was explained to me that it's only a temporary fix but I would like the pressure in my head to stop as it feels like my heads going to explode.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Belle, Grommets are used constantly for retracted ear drums/eustachian tube dysfunction. It's very common with children. My daughter had three sets in each ear when she was little. Another possibility is balloon dilation of your eustachian tubes. That would be my preferred method of treatment as it is less invasive and doesn't leave your middle ear open through the grommet. Not all ENTs perform the dilation though so it would be worth asking your ENT if they do. If not, maybe search around for an ENT that does. With either procedure you should stop experiencing your current problems though. Both procedures are very quick. Grommets can be inserted in about 10 minutes- possibly the shortest surgery ever!!

• Posted

Morning Olizzieo,

I had balloon dialation breifly mentioned to me by my ENT. He said that it was only recently introuduced in Australia and he personally wasn't comfortable in performing the procedue. He showed me the Eustachian tube with his ear diagram and pointed out that a main nerve was 2mm from the Eustachian tube and if the balloon popped their would be major complications. I think for now I will try the grommets and see what happens after that smile

• Posted

That is what ENTs used to say 10 years ago. I have never heard of them popping. I wonder if he is misinformed. I just Google searched it and couldn't find anything. What city are you in? The ENT I work with in Perth performs balloon dilation. I will ask him whether he has heard of this and let you know. 

• Posted

I live in Brisbane. He did use more technical terms when I last saw him but that was on December 21st so I can't remember exactly what he said. I have an MRI on Saturday then I see the ENT again next week.

• Posted

Hi Bella,

Well, it's sounds as though you've tried pretty much of everything available.  I live in England and have suffered Eushachian Dysfunction since the early 80's.  It's the most distressing thing.  When I mentioned having grommets fitted to my ENT Consultant, his reply was they wouldn't help for long once they fall out, probably within three months  the problem will come back.  Why some people suffer ETD I've no idea.  I try hard never to catch colds as this always makes my ears worse.  You may need a quick course of Prenisolone steriod tablets....not longer than maybe a two weeks course.  They will dry up any fluid and get rid of possible inflammation too.  I've tried every steriod based nasal spray out there and Dymista was one of them, which didn't help me.  If you are allowed to take Prednisolone tablets when you've finished the course, ask for Flixonase Nasule Drops (you lean your head over the bed to administer) use those for 2/3 weeks morning and night.  Once that's done ask for the Flixonase Aqueous nasal spray....all this treatment has really helped me and I've had both ears completely clear for four months now.  Because of suffering with blocked ears for so long back in 1994 I contracted bacterial meningitis due to the mucus left sitting there in eustachian tubes and wouldn't drain, it turned bacterial....so one should always be careful when suffering this condition.  A course of antibiotics is good to protect from possible bacterial ear infections.  I was very unlucky as this illness wasn't spotted until too late when I lost the sight in my left eye and hearing down in left ear and tinnitus too.

Good luck, and if you try what I've recommended and I'd like to hear how you get on.

Regards Anne

• Posted

Hi Anne,

I tried Flixonase before and it didn't work. Dried up my nose a lot and then i was swapped onto the Dymista. My ears have made some improvement on the Dymista. I can now puff out my ear drum a little when doing the valsalva but they haven't popped yet. As for the Prenisolone I don't think I would be able to take it due to a stomach ulcer and other medication. I try not to take too much medication as I take PPI's which stops my stomach producing acid so it doesn't break down very well. I also have reduced hearing in my left ear but luckily they think it will return due to my eardrums being retracted during the test. How are you ears now? Do you still take medication to help your ETD daily or did you find relief?

• Posted

Hi again Bella,

Yes I use Flixonase nasal spray every morning and so far

left ear has been behaving.  However, this morning my right

ear has started to play up and feels very blocked.  When I

pinch nose together it does pop though, but then blocks

again.  Such a blessed nuisance.

I too like to steer clear of too much medication.  I suufer with

asthma, but that is completely controlled using steriod inhaler

every day.  Fortunately, I'm not on any other mediaction...no

BP meds or cholesterol, which is amazing as I'll be seventy in

May.  I do look after myself though.  I don't drink or smoke, but

do enjoy chocolate haha !!  I take a good multivitamin and mineral

and extra vitamin D as we don't get particularly good Summers

in England, also I take Omega 3....all of which I think helps to keep

us in good health, alongside a good diet.

I hope your ears soon clear up as I know how miserable it can it.

Kind regards

Anne

• Posted

Haha, I'm currently eating maltesers at work as I was reading your reply so I agree with the being healthy but loving chocolate comment!

That's good to hear that you've managed to find some relief. ETD is horrible.

I haven't been able to "pop" my ears in months. They have started to puff out a little but afterwards I get this cold shotting pain from my ear and can feel it all the way to above my eye. Only lasts a few seconds though. 

Thanks, I have an MRI this Saturday 14 of Jan at the hospital to check to see if fluid that showed up in my left petrous apex on my CT is a Cholesterol Granumola. Then if that comes back clear it'll be grommets for my retracted eardrums and hopefully a steady road from there smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.