Has anyone been misdiagnosed with Graves Disease?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just wonder if I've had a virus as opposed to Graves as hardly any of my symptoms are indicative of Graves....

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

...... what are your symptoms for possible virus or Graves' disease then Karmaway ........as I don't think you've said in this posting ?

Mx🌹

• Posted

Sometimes you can get hyperthyroidism due to a virus but it is temporary and symptoms pass quickly like in 6 weeks.  Usually if you are diagnosed with hyperthyroidism based on thyroid lab tests, docs look for the cause, i.e. test for antibodies, TRAb or TBII for Graves and TGAb and anti-TPO for Hashimoto's.  If those tests are normal, then hyperthyroidism is due to other causes such as viruses or thyroid nodules.

• Posted

Thanks Linda I did have tests for antibodies too and they were positive but apparently this can be read wrong too!
    • Posted

Mmmmmm ... that sounds incorrect

....If I were you I'd ask to see an Endocrinologist ... or ask for blood tests to be done again .. antibodies are antibodies .. whether or not it's Graves or Hashimotos .. your blood results will clarify that ... try to act quickly .. as you can get started on your correct treatment .

Mx🌹

• Posted

Symptoms fir Graves' disease can be

VERY SIMILAR to Hyperthyroidism

So would NOT be accurate enough to decide which condition you have without bloods being tested

And you've had that with a positive antibody test

• Posted

Sorry for the confusion I have had my bloods done every month for 18 mths. I didn't explain properly enough in my discussion post. Just wondered if anyone had been diagnosed with Graves and seen it to be something else! 🤣

• Posted

My endo diagnosed me based on the antibodies, a thyroid uptake scan and a thyroid ultrasound.  If your doc has done all those tests, you can be sure of the diagnosis.
    • Posted

I've had the other two but not a thyroid uptake scan! I've not even seen my defo in 18 mths just a very rude nurse who I refuse to see or the end I registrar. Not great where I live and no other choice! It sucks! I am seeing a natural practitioner which is preferential!

• Posted

Are you going to be seeing an Endocrinologist?  If you want to feel better, you can start on supplements along with your meds.  They help a lot.  There was a research study on the positive benefits of taking Regular L-Carnitine 3,000 to 4,000 mg per day.  It helped alleviate muscle problems and those who were on it, if they had thyroid storms, they were not as overpowering as usual.  Most hyper patients are deficient in vitamin D as well.  Those are 2 goods ones to start with.  
    • Posted

I see his registrar who is rubbish! It's basically here's the medication now go away! Ugh! Yes thanks l carnitine didn't work for me but taking selenium, floradix and vitamin d plus I eat Paleo now which I think has helped the most! ??

• Posted

I was misdiagnosed with Graves disease and was at the point of thyroid removal and a lifetime of maintenance medication. Found an article by 2 MDs at the Texas Heart Institute entitled Misdiagnosis of Graves Disease Due to Aspartame Poisoning. I started reading labels and removed aspartame from my diet (it's in everything "diet") and symptoms completely disappeared within 60 days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.