Bloody nose. Symptom of sinusitis?

Posted , 6 users are following.

A month ago I had a terrible smell in my nose - I've had it before.  My nose was clear but I had pressure in my sinuses.  I was given antibiotics and took them for a week, but they didn't make any difference.  After 10 days the smell  disappeared (thank goodness).  Now, over the past four days, once again the pressure is back in my sinuses and when I blow my nose it's bloody, particularly on one side.  Interestingly, it's the opposite side from the previous problem a month ago.

Is this bloody mucus a sign of further infection?  How long is it likely to last?  I don't want to bother my GP again and am using saline drops at the moment.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have had similar problems with sinus, actulally since I was very young.  My parents had this also.  At this point in my life, the most helpful thing I've done is follow through on directions from an Allergy Clinic.  I would do that if it is possible.  Most regular gp won't scratch the surface of an ongoing sinus infection!

• Posted

Hello Cheeta

You might try visiting the Mayo Clinic Website....and then Symptoms > Nosebleeds.

There is a variety of reasons  you will find that can cause bleeding.  Consider the ones closest to your situation....and then reconnect with your GP.  Your GP is in the business to be "bothered".    

• Posted

Cheetah

If you have an allergy problem you should try taking a 1000mg Evening Primrose Oil capsule daily.

After a lifetime of chronic sinusitis I discovered this miracle cure for allergy problems, such as hayfever, rhinitis, and sinusitis.

Evening Primrose Oil desensitises the nervous system so that it does not react to normal irritants. It is not a drug, so it has no adverse side affects and does not affect mental ability.

It takes about 4 hours to work, and is effective for a further 24 hours, so one capsule daily is usually sufficient. 

Evening Primrose Oil is also useful for pain relief, in conjunction with analgesics.

I hope you find a successful treatment.

Regards Ray.

• Posted

Hi Cheetah, I have had the same problems as you. Can you describe what the smell was like? mine started off like someone was smoking near me and then it evolved into a 'fumes' like odour as though I was behind a car, very unpleasant. I believe the nose bleeds are caused by sensitivity to the membranes caused by sinusitis. Nothing to worry about, What really helped me was steaming with a few drops of olbas oil or a teaspoon Vicks in the water. Helps relieve the pressure and open the sinuses. 

• Posted

Thank you all so much for your replies.  Thankfully, things seem to be getting a little better and the bloody mucus has decreased.  A few of you mentioned allergies and this reminded me that many, many years ago I was diagnosed with non-allergic rhinitis by a hospital consultant.  I had Nasonex on my repeat prescription for a long time and used it when necessary.  However, I didn't seem to have a problem for ages and the Nasonex was taken off my repeats as I hadn't needed to use it.

So it's well within the bounds of possibility that it's started up again as this is the second episode I've had in a few months.  I'll certainly have a look at Evening Primrose Oil, Raymond, thanks for that suggestion.

My smell was very like damp plaster, Pat.  A bit like mould and rather sweet, but most unpleasant.  I've been using Olbas Inhaler Nasal Stick and also Saline Nasal Drops, but think I'll also get some Olbas Oil and follow your suggestion about steaming.

If it continues I will go and see my long-suffering GP!

Thanks again and I wish you all well. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.