Inguinal hernia - questions for consultant

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I've got an appointment with the consultant for my right side inguinal hernia. I need to research more into the process and the options, but what sort of things should I be asking? On the NHS will I have a choice with the type of surgery?

Below is the report from the ultrasound I had just before Christmas

No evidence of any right sided femoral hernia. With the patient

coughing or straining the right inguinal canal appears to be

compressed and displaced laterally from the posteromedial aspect by

abdominal content including peritoneal fat consistent with a right

sided direct inguinal hernia.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I had mine done privately via my GP but didn't have an ultrasound or anything (interesting). Ask whether it will be open or lapro. My understanding is that it's about 50/50 pros and cons with each technique. My hernia was fairly simple and no symptoms before other than small bulge. My surgeon did an open but I suspect I would have been better with a lapro. Ask how he will 'stitch' the wound and when he will do the final sign-off. I wasn't too happy with my surgeon. He used clips and these were removed after a week together with sign-off. When asked he said clips were quicker than stitches (so what else had been done more quickly?). The result is that my surgeon never gets any real feedback unless there are serious problems. I had only a little pain after the op but 6 months later I still have some annoyances such as an occasional feeling of pulled hairs below the wound site and dead nerves in that area. I had twinges when sitting up for about 3 months after the op. So, ask the surgeon about recovery such as nerve damage. ongoing twinges and how he will fix the mesh. The mesh works but to be honest it's not a perfect solution and may take a good few months to settle. BTW my dressings were Tegaderm which were excellent except I was allergic to the adhesive which took around 3 weeks to resolve, so if you get itching around the wound site use a different dressing.

• Posted

Had the same a few years back. Diagnosed, offered a repair Op ( meshing) and had it fixed. Recovery period 'rules' should to observed to prevent stressing and damaging the repair but after that I have been problem free. Quite straightforward for me. Only thing can suggest is that you make sure the surgeon is very experienced in this procedure. Good luck. 

• Posted

You are extremely lucky that you got some advice about recovery.  I was discharged with no advice on caring for the wound, no dressings to change with and no referral to an outside nurse.  I was literally thrown out and left to get on with it.  I must say I have spoken to my GP and two pharmascists who were all shocked at the lack of care and treatment I received.
  • Posted

By all means do some research into the options, but doing research yourself gets confusing as you will find different posts are totally different.  I feel sure you're consultant will advise you the best course of action for your situation.  Good lukck.  

• Posted

Thanks everyone for the responses. Agree especially with the last comment my own research has me running in circles. I feel that the open with mesh will be suggested but I'm just worried about the mesh and what it will be like afterwards. I don't know. I've tried finding out more about the doctor I have the consultation with but I can't find anything (will he even be the one doing the surgery?).

Also something I wanted to ask. I know I have the right to start treatement within 18 weeks of referral. But does that mean the scan, the consultation or actually the surgery? I was referred some time in November (will have to dig out the letter for the date).

Getting stressed over this when I know I probably shouldn't be!

• Posted

In my case, I was referred by my GP to see my consultant again who arramged for the scan, then another meeting with the consultant to discuss the result of the scan.  It was at that point he decided to do the operation (although he was unwilling to do another one one me).  If the consultant you are referred to is your preferred choice of surgeon, then state so at your meeting and ask the question "Will you be performing the surgery"  

• Posted

Thanks Barbara. Can I ask for a different surgeon?? I didn't think it worked like that. I also don't know why I would (or how I would choose!) when I know nothing about them.

Thanks again for the response.

• Posted

If you have no confidence in the consultant you first see, you can ask to be referred to another surgeon.  It is very difficult when you don't know anything about them.  As I said, I was referred to my consultant through my GP and I had no problem with him doing my first 4 hernias, but he was unwilling to do this latest one, I  now wish I had asked for another surgeon as his attitude casued me to lose faith in him. Fortunately, or unfortunately whichever way I look at it, I could have chosen another surgeon as I got to know some of them through all my stays in hospital.  When you see your GP, tell him you want to be referred to a surgeon who has a  good and confident reputation in this particular field.  Please make sure you are confident in the surgeon as you are the patient are entitled to the best treatment.  Wishing you luck, but I'm here if you want to ask any more questions.  I'll be only to willing to help if I can.

• Posted

From what I understand, Open surgery is more reliable than laproscopic.  I think they'd opt for open depending on the size,  maybe how long you've had it, For me, my bladder went through the hernia also so they had to re-arrange my anatomy a little.Typically I think they're both outpatient procedures, unless there are complications with the surgery. I had to spend the night because of a reaction to the anesthesia causing pretty severe nausea. btw, they put in a foley with that. Also, the scar tissue that formed, wrapped itself around a nerve to my leg, causing other ongoing problems, but that's pretty rare. Take it easy with recovery. Friends, family, and co-workers can be empathetic to your condition. Also for all the horror stories you may hear about mesh, there are probably many more stories about it's benefits. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for the horror story! Really hope you've been sorted out or get it fixed soon.

• Posted

Hi gray821,

I read the results of your tests. I suggest you ask the following questions :

1. Do I really need surgery? If so, please give me all details.

2. How will I be cut and how long of an incision will it be?

3. Approximately how long is the healing process?

(My surgery was 9 months ago and I am still healing. Every person is different.)

4. Whenever you have surgery, do your homework.

I hope I've been if some help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.