Can I take co-codamol while on Amitriptyline?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been diagnosed in the last 4 weeks with sciatica and have been in tremendous pain firdtly a was given Tramadol to take 2 four times a day along with paracetamol but these didnt do anything to help the pain so a was then put on Diazepam with paracetamol and/or Tramadol which again did nothing for the pain. I have now been given Amitrityline to take at night 10mg but during the day I am still in a lot of pain. Can I take co-codamol to ease my pain during the day? I take these on a regular basis already as I have rheumatoid arthiritis but was told not to take them when on Tramadol?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ian

​Sorry to hear you are suffering sciatica on top of rheumatoid arthritis. I too take co-codomol for infammatory arthritis and also was put on Amitriptyline for a badly crushed sciatic nerve. I took them both sucessfully together until I had to stop taking Amitrip owing to an extremely rare side effect and am now on Pregabalin along with co-codomol to control my pain. I see no reason why you cannot take the two together but if you are in any doubt at all please check with your GP. Tramadol and Diazepam did not help me either but I think GPs start with these, then Amitrip to find which works best for us. If you find Amitrip does not cover the pain the next step usually is to try Gabapenten (still along with Co-codomol) so it really is a case of trial and error. I think the reason one cannot take Tramadol and co-codomol together is because Tramadol is morphine based and Co-codomol turn into morphine in the body. Hope that makes sense.

​I hope you improve soon

• Posted

The Amytryptalene is an antidepressent with a side effect that it supresses nerve and tendon pain. You take 10mg and that is a very small dose.

I take 75mg for Sciatica and I have no problems, it does help supress the Nerve damage throughout my body. You could ask your GP if you will get better results on a higher dose.

You need to be careful with your Tramadol, it is a Opiate type medication, I take the same dose, with permission fro Pain Clinic to increase to the maximum dose, so it is a good medication and works well on 100mgx2 daily.

In Pain Clinic we were trained to mix and match, so your GP will be watching how you do. Paracetamol should be ok over short periods of time. Co-codamol should not be taken with Tramadol.

Ask about an increase in Amytryptalene.

BOB

• Posted

The maximun dose generally outside hospital is for Tramadol 2x100mg, four per day. 8tbs

• Posted

hi ian im on 200 ml of amittriptyline at night and im also on co-codamal they are fine to take ive had no problem what so ever i take 8 a day of co-codamal ive been on co-codamal for about 7 years amitriptyline for about 27  years diazepan is not a pain killer but they will relax you please be carfull with them as they are very addictive but they will help you sleep please do not take paracetamol as well if you are taking co-codamol i do hope this helps 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.