Whole body numbness

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was put on amitriptyline 25mg on 29 November for migraines due to a concussion I started by taking half every night then going up to the full dosage/pill as directed by the doctor.

About a week ago I missed two doses and since then have not missed a dose. About a day after missing the second dose my legs were tingling when I stood up. The next day the tingling turned to numbness, now my whole body is numb. I cannot feel most pain, can't tell if something is too hot or cold (especially eating or drinking), I can't even fee the sensation of urinating (I can feel when I have the urge to urinate).

I'm obviously worried a great deal. I've contacted the doctor who prescribed me the medication and was told to see my primary care doctor - that appointment is in an hour. I've been told by my psychologist that this is because of the medication and missing those two doses. Does anyone have any similar experiences with this medication? I'm obviously hoping this is because my body was somewhat shocked by the sudden stopping of the medication, but I've found nothing that says this is clearly due to amitryptiline.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

This medication is an antidepressent, and has another use of suppression Nurological Pain. In my case it suppresses Chronic pain in legs, hips, spine legs.

It would seem your are getting the side effects that I need suppressed. The drug in my case seems to stop working if I forget to take it

The medication comes in 25mg tablets, with a rotten numbing feeling in the mouth this is normal. I take 75mg in the evening half an hour before bed. I was advised not to split dose for any reason twenty years ago. For my nerve pain this drugs works

BOB

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.

I did notice the numbing effect it had when taking it. I honestly forgot about it for the most part since everything else was numb.

My doctor today said it's more than likely the amitryptiline. He's never seen something as strange as what I'm going through but he said he prescribed it a lot for nerve pain and parasthesia is relatively common.

• Posted

We are all different, that is part of life and we need to accept that situation

Good Luck, always around

BOB

• Posted

hello i did not hve this side effect. im wondering what your dr told you today? hope you can figure it out ading more symptoms is nto waht we hope for when taking meds!!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply!

My doctor said it's probably the medication as he prescribes it a lot for nerve pain and this symptom is common in what he's seen, just not this severe. He broke a wooden cotton swab in half and had me close my eyes while he pressed either side (soft or sharp) against my arm. I couldn't tell what side it was, only when he was pressing it against me (I wasn't even able to tell every time that he was touching me with it).

He suggested I taper off of it, but I'm going to consult with the neurologist that prescribed it to me first.

Meanwhile we're waiting on blood work to rule out anything else. As frustrating and weird as this is it was fun to be able to get blood drawn without feeling the needle.

• Posted

i just realized when reading this now (im sufferring form pcs so memory problems) idid have that problem aron dmy knees then elbows, feet id forgotten. id never associated it with amitripline! ive been on it for 15 years for fibriomylogia i assmed the numnbness was from that. my dr of many years has left and new dr said get off that . im now down to 5mgs a night.my fibrio pain is back  but i will see if any of my symptoms go away once im totally off the amitriptline. when i first started it i couldnt stand the way it made me feel but after a while decided to try it again and after 3 weeks of living in a total fog i came around and all was good and it really helped the fibro pain. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.