What could be wrong?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been on Fluoxetine 40mg now for six weeks and have the oddest sensations daily. Each day brings something new. Yesterday was okay but still strange. Today, I had erratic crying spells and trembling, spaciness and some depersonalization/derealization. I just don't know how people survive this. I am so non-functional. I don't feel I'll ever be well and this just simply can't be right. I've been to countless doctors who all scratch their heads or their butts...not sure which b/c I've received no help.I feel very lost in myself and nothing like what I remember as normal. Daily, I search the net for answers, matching my symptoms to no avail. I can't work now or provide support for my son. My mother who is elderly is doing everything. I'm so desperate to be well. I can't imagine Fluoxetine working months from now if it's not now...I'm at such a loss; feeling as alien in the world...not normal at all.

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If anyone has felt this way, please share. I have so many symptoms daily. I was full functioning before these meds; now, I'm so far down hill. I feel physically and mentally unwell. I feel sick to my stomach-a raw, empty feeling, dry mouth, weak, vacant thoughts, disassociated, erratic crying one minute-stopped the next; agitated, anxious, shaky, tremors, bleary eyes, metallic taste in mouth, dizziness, and neuropathy in hands among others. Please let me know if this sounds normal and will go away in time; six weeks in...

• Posted

Hi Kim. I'm so sorry you're feeling so miserable. I had the same experience on fluoxetine. I know some will say to stick it out and it will get better, and that may be the case. I hope it is. It wasn't for me. I stopped taking it after about 11 weeks. I hope you figure out what's best for you. Xxx

• Posted

Thank you Jennifer...I pray it's right for me...This whole experience has been a nightmare...I don't know how long I should hang on with it or when to throw in the towel...thanks again.

• Posted

Hi Kim

these side effects are quite normal for the time frame that you have been taking them.  It awful I know but stick with it and you should start to see improvements in the next couple of weeks.  It took approximately 10 to 12 weeks on 40mg to start getting my life back, but so glad I stuck it out because now I feel like my normal self and sometimes even better. X

• Posted

Thank you so much...that is what I hoped to hear. So, you had similar side effects? I just can't imagine ever coming through this...Happy you are better-perhaps there is hope for me?

• Posted

Yes 6 weeks and those are still typical side effects for that time frame.  6 weeks may seem a long time for you, but its still a relatively short time.  Count recovery in months not weeks - many people start noticing results around 3-4 months.

You don't often see progress for ages - I didn't.  But the meds are working.  Soon you'll start seeing results.

You've come a long way - you're half way there xxx

• Posted

Thank you Kate....it's so hard to get through all of this...can't imagine feeling better. I appreciate your words of encouragement.  So, did you feel the same during the early weeks? I  guess I read that people should be better around 4-6 weeks...

• Posted

Hi 

i want to say how much help your posts are to me just now. Kate, you are an inspiration, i thank you for your words of wisdom. Im on here everday hoping to find new words from you and others. This journey im on at the moment seems a long and lonely road, im really looking forward to better days.

thank you🌹

• Posted

Yes I had similar symptoms, though can't remember at what point, as it was a long time ago now.  I cried bucketfuls I remember ... cried at the doctors, cried on the phone to him, cried at work, felt like I was in a glass bowl looking out at others, and I had trembling for weeks like all my nerves were shaking.

It also took around 6 months before I felt truly well and normal again.  I started getting glimpses of normality around 3-4 months, then it disappeared, came back again and started happening daily, which increased over time.  I still didn't realise at that point that I was recovering and desparately clung onto the moments of normality, and sobbed when I woke up anxious.  I began to see a pattern and started looking forward to the normal times.  I really started noticing it when I began to forget about 'it' ..... that was so exciting.

Everyone gets better in their own time, so don't base your recovery time on other peoples.  I also read others have got better after 4-6 weeks, but I do think that's the minority.  It all depends on your body.

My advice is to let the feelings just be there, they will anyway so there's nothing you can do about it at the moment.  Accept that.  Practice relaxing and releasing tension in your body - that is one of the biggest things.  Its the same as when its cold, we tense our bodies against the weather ....... well try releasing this, let it go.  Not whilst you're sitting, but as you move around during the day.  Your nerves and body are over sensitive and relaxing helps to desensitise the body.  You won't feel the benefit for a while, but with continued practice your body will begin to soothe.

Let recovery come to you - it will.  If you keep chasing it you'll tense up.  Let go, relax, go with the flow.

K x

• Posted

Hi Carol

Thank you so much xx

I know what you're all going through - and yes, the right words mean so much to you.  When I was ill, just one wrong word from someone would send me into a spiral of panic, doubt and gloom.  

It does feel like a never ending road doesn't it - you can't see a way out yet, but once you start feeling the beginnings of getting better you'll look at this illness in a different light.  It does feel lonely too - I thought I was the only to ever feel like this.  Was so surprised to see so many suffer from exactly the same when anxiety strikes.

You will get over it.  xx

• Posted

Thank you kate....I pray these things will follow suit for me. I'm clinging on to hope. Every day is a challenge and I feel so off and unlike myself but I'm trusting it will work for me too.

• Posted

Kate....yesterday was better, but today I feel spacey and disconnected. Does it sometimes follow this type of pattern; one day okay and the next, not so good? I appreciate your feedback.
    • Posted

Hi Kim

Yes it can change as quick as that.  Some days good, some bad - I used to have bad mornings and good evenings in the same day.  Mine started happening like that often and I began to see a pattern in mine, then began to look forward to my evenings.  Slowly my good evenings began creeping more into my day until my days became better ..... then the cherry on the top was when I began waking with no anxiety.  Mine all took around 6 months.

K xx

• Posted

Thank you Kate....I hope it will be the same for me; today was not as good as yesterday but still okay....I pray this is some turning point.
    • Posted

Recovery for me was so very gradual I didn't really notice it - that's why its good to gauge month by month.  Looking back each month I could see slight changes.

Fingers crossed for you. xx

• Posted

Thank you Kate....I've had three "okay" days; not perfect ones...then today, a hazy, spacey one with some anxiety....but I pray these are good signs. It's such a tough road daily to battle apathy and feeling unlike myself...I've

been kind of encouraged by the few okay days....may they continue.

• Posted

Hi Kim,

how long have you been on flu now? Does your anxiety last all day then taper off at night? Every night i think gees i can beat these feelings, bang next morning same inner trembles and sadness are there.

Hopefully we are both heading in the right direction, do you try to set little goals each day. Is it hard to go out for you or is that improving for you?

I appreciate all the helpful advice here. Im glad you are having some better days👏🏽

• Posted

I think they are good signs - it comes so gradual for some people, so having ok days mixed with spacey anxious ones sounds normal.  I was the same - on good days I felt I could climb a mountain and knew I could do this ..... then on bad days I'd feel wretched and think 'why me'.

Little steps ... the good days are inching in for you.

K x

• Posted

That's exactly how I recovered Carol.  The anxiety would wear off by the evening, but every morning it would hit me again.  The anxiety started to wear off earlier and earlier in the day and one day I woke with no anxiety!!! biggrin  

• Posted

Carol...I've had about two "okay" days...the past two days have been arlight but I feel spacey and disconnected; like my movements or life activities are spontaneously chosen...I feel kind of just blah....I'm wondering if this will smooth out and all will right itself? Hope you are well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.