Dietary question about prostate problems

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been researching and reading everything regarding prostate problems while I am waiting for a second PSA test. Does anyone here find it to be truthful about the red meat and dairy consumption contributing to an increase to potentially developing prostate cancer? The reason I ask is that my diet primarily consists of these. We have a cow butchered every year for our meat. No antibotics or steroids however. Grass feed only. But I do drink high amounts of milk. Now when I say high amounts I mean high amounts because if my wife allows me I will drink a gallon a day. However, on average I do drink 3-4 gallons a week not counting the cheeses etc... This has me wondering! Any thoughts?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Not sure if Prostate is particularly affected by your diet, but I hope you are mindful of the cholesterol issues with animal fat intake like yours!
    • Posted

Yes, definitely. Lay off the meat and dairy.
  • Posted

Too much of anything is not good. If you're having red meat more than say 3x a week then ease off it.

As to your PSA tests, ensure they are all performed at the same lab as different labs have different measuring tools and PSA results are not comparable across different labs.

• Posted

I would urge you to read 'Prostate Cancer - Understand Prevent and Overcome Prostate Cancer' by Professor Jane Plant. Although the book repeats its theme over and over it is fairly convincing. In short, she argues that dairy products are harmful and points to the fact that PCa is virtually unknown in countries that do not routinely consume dairy products but PCa rises to normal level when these people adopt a dairy diet. Also, consider what dairy is - essentially a growth product produced by an animal which is fed on growth hormones; hardly surprising that problems with certain cancers would be the result. That said, I have not cut out dairy products but have reduced my intake by substituting milk and jogurt for soya alternatives. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.