iol prescription after cataract surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

After the operation my left eye came out at +0.50 sphere, -0.50 cyl, 10 axis.  It is slightly over-corrected - eg nothing less than about 10 feet away is in focus, but it is very clear for night driving.

My right eye will be operated on soon - what strength should I request ?   I would prefer not to have mini-monovision as the operation result is permanent, but if the eyes are balanced, they will both be over-corrected.  I am not sure whether laser touch-up would be a good idea as my corneas are thin due to being very short-sighted.  

I would prefer not to go for mini-monovision in case I don't get on with it, and of course the operation is permanent !

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Have you had a chance to discuss this issue with your opthamologist since responses were posted by a few people a few days back to your earlier related post, "Over-corrected following cataract operation?" It may be good to know what he had to say.

• Posted

I have booked a pre-op appointment with one of the hospital eye surgeons (not necessarily the surgeon who did the left eye cataract operation).  I have reservations about having the other (right) eye set for mini-monovision, as  I may not get used to it, and it would be permanent.  

They may not advise a laser touch-up or piggy back lens to reduce the +0.5 prescription in the left eye that has been operated on already as the cornea is thin as I am very short-sighted (-14 diopters). 

• Posted

If I am not going for mini-monovision, what iol strength should I request for the right eye ?    Should I also ask for the left eye to be reduced from the present +0.50 sphere, -0.50 cyl, 10 axis strength ?

• Posted

sir, with understanding and all due respect, you are obcessing over this. you're going to reach the point wheree no matter what your eventual outcome you willnot be happy with it .you will always wish you'd done it differently.  our eyesight is a gift from god, i suggest that you make the very best informed decision with your surgeon that's possible and leave it in god's hands. you're in my prayers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.