Newest Member of the Bleph Club

Posted , 8 users are following.

About 3 months ago, I was alarmed to find that my eyes were red for no apparent reason. This redness started in my left eye (and is still more predominant in that eye). This was accompanied by finding the occassional eyelash in my eyes in the morning. 2 months ago, a doctor prescribed me with antibiotic drops for pink eye for a 10 day period. That did nothing. They then suggested it was allergy related. I used antihistamine drops to no avail. Finally, I saw an eye doctor who recognized the condition as blepharoconjunctivitis. He prescribed me a hybrid steroid/antibiotic eye drop called Zylet for a two week period. During that time I was instructed to use a hot-compress for 5 minutes a day and use a premoistened lid-wipe called OcuSoft. Over that two week period, the redness would fluctuate but never fully dissipate. My doctor was so certain that would work, he hadn't even scheduled a follow up. I had to call at the end of the period to let him know that I needed further help. He got me in the next morning and told me that my eye lids looked "75%" better but this was a condition that I would have to live with forever. That was the first time he said "blepharitis." I had googled and fear this result for nearly 2 1/2 months by this point. I understand that my condition is much slgihter than many others' that I have read on this forum and elsewhere online but I am still dejected by the finding. I hate waking up in the morning and seeing this redness. I dread it.

I'm only 23. Everywhere I go, I look high. I only just graduated from universtiy and this is the second incurable ailment I've come across in my lifetime. What I learned from my first ailment was: most of these doctors don't know what's going on. Their information is nearly as old as they are. The internet aided me in finding a one-of-a-kind doctor who had the best available treatment and answers on the topic. I'm hoping it will allow me to do so again.

My doctor's new course of treatment is to put me on minocycline (antibiotic) capsules for a month and use erythromycin (antibiotic) ointment on my eyelids at night for 10 days in addition to the lid-wipes and hot-compresses. Is this even worth my time or is there a better treatment out there? I'm so tired of antibiotics that aren't doing anything.

My only symptoms:

-red eye

-slight lash loss

-occasional tiny white pustule on eye lid margin

I'm just scared this could get worse. All I want is clear eyes. I appreciate any guidance and support you can offer. Thank you taking the time to read all of this.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

There is hope. I know because after six mo ths of trying everythi g I had almost three weeks of clear eyes awithout any symptoms. I got cocky though and careless about my dar routine. I have had a pretty severe relapse but know I will recover again and this time will follow the course of treatment that was prescribed. And hope to sustain my maintenance status. I am currently using AzaSite ophthalmic solution 3x day for two weeks...off 1 week...in order to mnot lose its effectiveness. Thats tbe step I skipped when I got co ky...I neglected to use the AzaSite again. So now im on doxycyclin for a month, but dont plan to take them again.

I've had success washing my face with a single drop of tea tree oil (whi h has very high antibacterial properties) in a squirt of baby johnson shampoo paying special, quick attention to your tightly closed eyelids, washing with only warm, not hot, water. Dab eyes dry with clean paper towel each time. Cross contamination is a big deal w/bleph. Follow with llight moizturizer so you dont dry your comexion...not near your eyes, neddless to say. Follow cleansing with the eye drops your doctor has prescribed. Then apply your prezcribed . Compresses should be warm not hot....hot irritates the skin around your eye socket. I am battling a circle of thickened skin around both eye sockets that I k ow will get better, but right now is very unsightly.

The loint im tryi g to make is that once you get a handle on this, and you will, stck to your eyelid hygene routine as best you can, change your sheets and pillow cases every week, try to mop your floors to keep houzehold dust at bay, dont tou h your eyes without first washing your hands, take Occusoft wipes with you on trips and long days away from home. Use a dandruff shampoo if you have dandruff...even a little. This is often listed as a contributory cuase of bleph. Our lives will never be bleph free ... I am finally convinced of this, but I am determined to control this condition and not let it control me.

You probably already know anout REFRESH GEL DROP, SYSTANE NIGHTIME COMFORT GEL..these help..

Good luck. Try the tea tree oil...you'll find lots of folks on this site swearing by it.

• Posted

the cross contamination confuses me because they tell me its not contagious.  I think when people see me that is their first thought "oh my god I don't want to catch that"

• Posted

Use clean cotton swabs,cloths for each eye. Some is bacterial. Your eye bacteria shouldnt affect anyone else.
    • Posted

Cross-contamination refers just to your own two eyes...sometimes o e is mu h worze than the other and you can transfer that much worse strain of bacteria to the other eye which may not be having as severe symptoms. Hence wash hands well before tou hing eyes and get used to usi g the right hand for the right eye and the left for the left to ensure you dont cross contaminate. I ha e read that throhrough sharing pillows, where bacteria can easily and probably is nightly, deposited ... a sleeping pRpartner could co ceivably be infected. SO BE VERY MINDFUL GOING FORWrd. You dont wa t to be responsible for that. I change my pillow. Case every other day...as my eyes get better I do t want to be usi g a plow from when my eyes we re e worze...see where im goi g with this.

Good luck.

• Posted

I wish my doctor had put me on antibiotics earlier than six months down theine. Sounds like yours is tryi g to k ock it out tor down to a manageable degree, which is good. You might consider addi g an antihistamine tab (10 mg) to your daily routine if yo fi d overly watery eyes and itchiness.

• Posted

Thank you so much for sharing those details. I will definitely stay the course of my antiobiotic then. I was just feeling defeated. Luckily, I haven't experienced any itchiness whatsoever. I'm very grateful for that! I hadn't heard of the refresh and Systane drops you mentioned- I will definitely get those. Also, I must get some tea tree oil. Sounds like that could do a world of good for me. Again, thank you so much for your help! I'm so grateful that you took the time to share your experience. Be well.

• Posted

Be careful of the tea tree oil. Read how to use it,there are wipes you can buy that have it. Probably the safest bet. You can find them on the net. The name slips my mind at the moment. If not diluted enough it can harm your eyes,but if mixed right is supposed to be very good. Also,whatever you do,dont use drops that get the red out,like a certain one that starts with a V,they actually can make the problem wirse.
    • Posted

Cliradex you can buy them on Amazon.

• Posted

exactly use preservative free eye drops it is an absolute not to use regular eye drops.
    • Posted

Yes thats it. Eye doc even said to try them
    • Posted

CLIRADEC is the name and they are expensi e, but you're right...its th the safest way to go.

• Posted

Hi,sounds like you have mgd,where the glands that are at the edge of your eye lids that produce the oil for the 3rd layer of your tear film get blocked or produce a bad quality of oil for your tear film or both. I have that. The lid margin on the underside of the lid causes the pustule you are referring to and goes along with dry eye. I also get occasionally puffy lids that itch. They both are forms of Blepharitis. One inside the lid,the other is outside, alot of people get both. Your treatment sounds good. They often recomend doxyciline or monocycline to help the glands to produce a better quality of oil etc. I have done alot of reading on it and have had 3 eye doctors say they will prescribe it if i want to try it. Anyway,sound like the right course of treatment. Keep us posted.
  • Posted

Hi,

read as as much as you can on this discussion site as there is a wealth of information and advice available to you. There is so much you can try depending on what's happening with your eyes. Bleph is triggered by different origins whether infection, allergy, existing condition or makeup - its different for everyone.

regarding the occasional white postules you are experiencing, I have these or similar. I find it's solidified oil from the mebomian glands slowly building up for dome reason. I increase the heated eye mask treatment and firmly wipe each eye with a separate tea tree facial wipe (Sainsbury's) after a couple of days treatment they disappear as the thick oily discharge is released in tiny deposits.

whatever you do don't try too many treatments all at once as the eyes either show no improvement or get worse. It can take a few weeks before improvements are noticeable. Initially it's all about reducing discomfort and along the way learning about what works best for you. Good luck.

do not let your eye condition stop you from enjoying living your life to the full or stop you going out or having holidays. I take a travel kettle, thermos mug and gel eye bag for my heat treatment when travelling. It takes longer than popping a eye mask in the microwave but it does work. Also hot flannels pressed on eyes for ten mins works too if you don't want to carry any bulk. They have to be clean every day though.

all the best

• Posted

Your doctor's latest recommendation is what almost  all of us on this site have to do daily.

I was very upset when learned bleph is incurable. But on the positive note I  think

there are much worse deseases.

You will get rid of redness if you are consistent with treatment and maintenance.

Good luck

• Posted

I woke up 7 months ago with what my doctor diagnosed as acute conjunctivitis. I have been to several doctors and taken many different types of antibiotics with steroids etc. I was finally diagnosed with blepharitis, and MGD (blocked glands in my eyelids) I am scheduled for a Lipoflow procedure which may or not help and costs a fortune. I understand how upset you are because I am going through this too. My biggest problem right now is constant tears and blurred vision. My eyelashes are also starting to curve in a strange direction. This is something that will never go away but hopefully will get better in time. Good luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.