My 8 year old daughter has had swollen nodes for almost 4 months

Posted , 2 users are following.

She has always been very healthy until last winter she was diagnosed with Mononucleosis and it lasted around 3 months. She hasn't been the same child ever since. Now, she has these very enlarged lymph nodes in her neck, and headaches, also having some stomach pain and she is always tired. She hasn't been herself for the past couple of weeks, she has ADHD so normally she is very hyper and she is NOT on any medication for it. Lately though she barely wants to get off the couch. Bloodwork was okay, lymphocytes were kind of high, but not too bad, and they scheduled a cat scan. Someone told me to request a biopsy of the lymph nodeto check for childhood lymphoma. Can anyone help me out? I am looking for any kind of answer right now to help me get through this scary process!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Deviney I'm not a doctor but did the Lymph nodes swell when she was first sick? What size are they would you say? Are they causing pain? I used to have ADHD as a child and it eventually stopped rather quickly as I got older.

• Posted

They didn't swell when she had mono almost a year ago, and around 3 to 4 months ago i noticed they were swollen but not too bad. You can tell easily by comparing both sides of her neck, because the right side is not swollen at all. Over the past to weeks or so, they have gotten larger, and now there are a couple of new ones that swelled up. They do NOT hurt. I am very concerned about this.

• Posted

I'm sorry you're experiencing this. I'm not a doctor but if it helps to hear from what I've read bad lymphnodes after 4 months or more would be bigger than walnuts or even bigger. Also swollen lymphnodes in people under 40 from what I've read have abut a .4% chance of something being bad and neck lymph nodes are some of the most commonly felt lymphnode regions. I've read dozens and dozens of people on anxiety forums who have chains of lymphnodes on one side of their neck that makes them fear something is wrong but turns out to be a result of virus with no symptoms some point in the past which the lymphnodes swollowed like mono and they just stay palpable permantly and nothing is wrong with them at all. Just Painless palpable lymph nodes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.