Does calcium supplement help to prevent bone loss?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all.. I'm 28 y.o, I've been diagnosed Barret's about 6 months ago.. Been prescriced ppi once daily but i'm really concerned about long term side effect use of it (especially bone loss). Does anyone here know: does calcium supplement help to prevent bone loss due to long term use of ppi? And how about the dosage? Thank you, i really need suggestion since i'm too afraid of getting osteoporosis..

Regards,

Fonny

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

No need to be afraid, people take PPIs at a high dosage for years and still do not develop Osteoporosis. I've been been on PPIs for 6 years almost daily, no sides and  my calcium levels are fine, mg and iron leves as well...

• Posted

Hi.. Thnks a lot for your comment.. i feel relieved now.. ^^
  • Posted

Hi, what a coincidence as I bought a calcium supplement for the first time after a bad do over christmas where I have upped my PPI dosage for a while. I have been on ppis for nearly 8 years for the condition including Barretts and GERD . I am hoping that the calcium tablets should help prevent side  effects so like you would welcome a response about this. The doctors just say they prefer me to be on the safe level of ppis (in my case 30mg lansoprazole daily) as this should not cause any side effects. Regards shelley
    • Posted

30mg Lansoprazole is indeed the maintenance dose. I'm on 20mg Pantoprazole which would be 15mg Lansoprazole. I've been on in now for 6 months and I can tell you that this dosage is wonderful for me. You could try to reduce to 15 mg lanso and see how it goes (daily, one in the morning before breakfast). This should be the most safest dose longterm as it is the lowest dose but effective (at least for me).

• Posted

Hi.. Thnks a lot for your comment.. i feel relieved now.. ^^ 
  • Posted

If you take high dose of PPI for many years, they can induce hypochlorhydria (insufficient stomach acid) through doing their job too well. A possible consequence of this is calcium depletion.

If you need supplemental calcium, you'll need calcium citrate to be prescribed. Most calcium supplements you can get are calcium carbonate which will not work as they simly neutralise whatever acid you have left.

• Posted

Hi.. Thanks a lot for your comment.. it is helpful.. ^^

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.