I have bilateral dermoid cysts and was told yesterday that they want to remove both my ovaries

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi.. I wonder if anyone is in the same situation and like me doesn't know what to do. I have had an MRI and confirmed bilateral dermoid ovarian cysts. The left one is 6cm x4 and the right 4cmx3.. I went to see consultant yesterday and was seen by one of the team who said they would remove both ovaries and tubes and did I want a hysterectomy at the same time??!!.. I'm still a little shell shocked and don't know what to do!.. I'm 54 years old.. 4 years post menopausal and have managed the symptoms by taking natural remedies such as sage and starflower oil. I am concerned about losing my ovaries and wondered if anyone else has any experience similar to this.. xx

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Are they giving you any trouble? Have you had a CA125 test? If they are causing problems then go ahead with the operation. But if not I would just ask them to monitor them for a while. You are right to want to try and keep them.
    • Posted

Hi there..thanks for replying...They occasionally give me a dull ache but nothing major.. and they told me that the scan showed nothing sinister ?.. I wasn't very confident in the young member of the team and would have been happier to see someone a bit higher up who could explain things better.. Should I push to speak to someone else?

• Posted

Hi lovely I had a bilateral ovarian cystectomy 14 months ago one in my left ovary was 7cm and my one in my right ovary 10cm! all left in tact although I am going back as I've had nothing but constant pain since, I've had scans and they've told me I have a thickened lining and my left ovary is enlarged! I asked them to take the lot out due to pain and I'm 28 but now I'm back to square one! I hope you get yours sorted xx

• Posted

Hi there.. Oh I'm sorry to hear that...you're very young to lose your ovaries.. Is there no other way?..I got the impression that because I was 54.. have had children and the menopause that just "whipping them out" is easier... But I struggled through the menopause with natural products and refused HRT and now looks like my efforts will be in vain as will have to go on it if I have both ovaries removed...😒

• Posted

They were originally going to take them out by key hole but changed their minds at the last minute because of them rupturing and not being able to keep them in tact. I wish they had of just taken them out! The pills make it worse I bleed through them, the injection I bled through, and I refuse to have coils it's painful enough. I have begged for years since having my little girl. I struggle with the pain and I'm grouchy with it. They have checked for pcos bloods rule that out. And scans show no evidence of endometriosis. They said after the op there was a chance of them returning but nothing I must say I'm 28 and would bite their hand off for that offer xx I hope they sort you out if your not happy change consultants although if your in pain the process may take time to swap over xx

• Posted

A good friend of mine had keyhole surgery like that - they screwed up and she now wears a colostomy bag! You had a lucky escape.
    • Posted

Oh it sounds like you've been through it.. 😒So sorry that it's not sorted out yet.. I'm going to speak to the consultant before I decide what to do.. I'm not getting too much discomfort at the moment so don't mind waiting... Good luck to you with your pain. Hope you're feeling better soon..x😊

• Posted

3 weeks ago I had both my ovaries & tubes removed for the same reason, albeit, it was only 1 ovary with the deroid cyst. Most people couldn't understand why they didn't do a hysterectomy why they were there. I don't know why they didn't as I stupidly didn't ask. They couldn't do keyhole as risk of rupturing the cyst. They kept the cut to a minimum which was smaller than what I thought, about 61/2 cm. When I saw the surgeon he was quite matter of fact and said " we will just whip both out as they are no use to you now"! I did feel quite shocked at that point, but didn't really question it. I just went home and googled the cyst etc. I saw the point about why they like to remove when your older (I am also 54)and just thought right, they need to come out! hadn't had a period for about a year so It made sense. We are all diferent but it seemed they were better out than in!

xx

• Posted

Hi there.. thank you for replying and I hope you're feeling much better and recovering well.. Have they mentioned anything about HRT to you?.. Or because of our age do you think it's because we don't need it?😊

• Posted

No, they didn't mention it. I thought it wouldn't really apply to me because of my age. I over did it at Christmas which was stupid but I had the op done on the 16th December, so close to Christmas! Last few days have really noticed a horrible nagging pain in my groin, I hope that it is just the healing process.

Hope that this last bit doesn't put you off at all. Think as I have started to relax more maybe noticing the pain more!

• Posted

You probably need to ease up and rest a bit more.. Us women do try and soldier on and is easy to over do it! Put your feet up!.. I'm going to speak to the consultant before I have anything done but it sounds as if I'll be following in your footsteps soon.. Hopefully you'll be feeling much better shortly..💕

• Posted

I have started to ease up a bit. Thanks, hopefull I will. Well I hope you get on ok and unlike me do rest after!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.