Toupet Fundoapplication

Posted , 4 users are following.

My op is due this week 12/01/17 feeling anxious!!!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Every good wish for your op.

I had my full Nissen fundo nearly 9 years ago. I had put it off for 14 years as I was scared. But the op was the best thing I ever did and gave me my life back.

From the www DownWithAcid org uk book:

'Unlike other partial wraps, that developed by André Toupet in 1963 is a 270° posterior wrap of the fundus around the back of the oesophagus designed to reduce dysphagia and the occurrence of a hiatus hernia.

A paper published in International Surgery in 2003, stated, "for patients in whom esophageal peristalsis is documented to be weak preoperatively, use of a partial wrap, or Toupet procedure, has often been used as an alternative to lessen the potential for postoperative dysphagia" and concluded, "We recommend its selective use in patients with preoperative esophageal hypomotility who are undergoing laparoscopic antireflux surgery."'

You may feel rough for a few days and have to restrict your diet but in a few weeks you'll wonder what all the fuss was about and be ready to enjoy spring.

• Posted

Thank you for your kind wishes i am having a Toupet

fundoapplication which is a partial wrap which i understand is better than the full in terms of recovery. I have not had alot of

information from the hospital but have from the forums and

internet. I have been waiting for the operation since last

May it has been cancelled twice so im joping all goes to plan

this time. I have lost a stone in weight as my sturgeon advised and have prepared myself for the limited diet after. I have had

reflux all my life so be free of it will be a blessing. Roll on the

Spring

• Posted

What kind of surgery are you having? I had laparoscopic surgery using Symbotex mesh for incisional hernias 12/28/16. From everything I've heard my surgeon is one of the best, however I wasn't given a lot of information as far as what to expect etc. I would encourage you to ask many questions beforehand just so you will be informed. Of course they deem the surgery necessary, but at least you would be informed. I pray all goes well and that you heal quickly. So far with my experience, my surgery was 9 days ago, and I didn't start getting any relief from the pain until about day 5. Since then the pain has been intermittent along with the nausea. My doctor initially said I would be out of work about 10 days, but right now it looks as if it's going to be more like 3 weeks. Keep us updated and let us know how you do :-)

• Posted

Thank you for you reply and i hope you are still doing well and healing nicely. I have never had surgery before which is

making me anxious but i know its the best decision to be free of the reflux. I have told my work i could be off for up to six

weeks just to be on the safe side and they are very supportive.

it has helped reading all the posts on this forum and i think im prepared!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.