correct diagnosis

Posted , 8 users are following.

i dont have psoriasis, i have eczema.  my sister has psoriasis.

can i be diagnosed as having psoriatic arthritis?

I am over fifty.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

If you have psoriasis yes it can be diagnosed.

I have full blown Psoriasis with associated Arthritis and have had it for thirty years. I am now 66.

Generally they say the condition is genetic, and it could also be caused by stress

• Posted

hi borderriever,

thank you for replying,

are you saying one can have PSORIATIC ARTHRITIS without ever having had psoriasis?

(there is the genetic component -my sister has psoriasis, i have eczema which is also a skin disease, but not psoriasis...)

• Posted

Yes. My psoriatic arthritis was diagnosed before o realised I had psoriasis.
    • Posted

Yes I have PsA but no skin disease but my mother, grandfather and cousins on the maternal line all had/have psoriais..PsA  does have a genetic component
  • Posted

If there is a family history of psoriasis you can be diagnosed with PsA. Sometimes people get arthritis before they have psoriasis appear.
  • Posted

I dont have psoriasis but have PsA and inject methx weekly
  • Posted

Hi,

I would imagine you could have psoriatic artritis after having eczema, I had dermatitis on my hands and feet every summer for fifty years, suddenly that stopped and the knees started playing up, the doctor put the 2 together and realized I had psoriatic artritis, which is a negative arthritis and is connected to skin disease for some reason. The earlier it is found, the better.

Maureen.

• Posted

Have you discussed your concerns with your GP? As they should be able to refer you to see someone at the hospital, or arrange for tests to be carried out?

I have arthritis in my fingers (confirmed by x-ray and ultrasound), can't be 100% certain that it is not PsA as I am already taking MTX for my psoriasis.

For me, the genetic link is on my mums side. My mum had psoriasis really badly on her scalp, both me and my sister had it on our scalps, my niece also has it on her scalp!

Unfortunately for me, I have it in other places and it doesn't appear a scaley plaques. There is lots of different types of psoriasis.

Definitely worth talking to your GP though.

Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.