Best friend diagnosed at age 36 with cirrhosis of the liver due to alcohol

Posted , 10 users are following.

Recently I learned that my best friend of 31 years (since kindergarten) had 5000ml drained from his abdomen. There were poll ups in stomach that was doctor decided not to do a biopsy on fir some reason.

He won't go to rehab, is trying to "try it his own way" - saying he will  stop drinking and get to 1 glass a day and try more natural ways,  but just had yet another 3 liters of fluid drained Thursday. 

**I have only known this cirrhosis since Monday 1/2/17 - 5000ml of fluid on 12/31/17.**

He won't tell me everything nor his family... 

i sent him questions and info about what this is and how he will absolutely die if not treated immediately... 

First board I have joined and posted on, so just wanted to see if anybodyhas been through this type of thing with somebody so young... all he keeps thinking that "Im not gonna die! Don't worry!" 

Let me me know your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

https://patient.info/doctor/ascites

The term for the fluid that you describe, is ascites - this is a link but if you google it, you might find a link aimed at a patient.

I think you also mean polyps in his stomach.

If he is having his abdomen drained, he is obviously seeing doctors & must know his prognosis [ie what the outcome is likely to be].  I don't know what country you are in but you could look up Al-Anon which is a support group for relatives & friends of alcoholics.  I would imagine that they could advise you on how you can help your friend.

Good luck

• Posted

What would you like to know?

I have alcoholic liver cirrhosis, but I managed to get to 48 before I was hospitalised. 36 is really quite young to be hospitalised.

I'm not surprised he doesn't really want to tell everybody or talk about it, because they are not going to be of much help and telling someone they will die does not go down well.

• Posted

Hi hope u don't mind me asking how long u have being drinking my partner drinks cans of bud 6/8 .. 4/5 times a week and worried he could develop liver problems

• Posted

About 25 years. How long has your partner been drinking?
    • Posted

I'm with him 11 years and he was drinking the but has got worse has being in rehab 3yrs ago etc but he has never had liver checked just something that has crossed my mind.

• Posted

Well, I drank daily, for the best part of 25 years. Blood tests can be misleading, they kind of only give a snapshot and not an overall picture.

The fact that he goes a couple of days without beer is good. Having had to go to rehab, is the bad sign. It is difficult to talk to drinkers, because they either don't think they have a problem, or they know they have a problem and don't want to talk about it.

I'm not sure what they do in the US, but in the UK, the best way to see what state the liver is in, is to have an abdominal ultrasound. It's exactly the same thing they do with pregnant women, except they look at the liver rather than a baby.

The trick is going to be, trying to persuade him to have one. But that would answer your question.

• Posted

Thanks for getting back to me, ya he def knows he has a problem but does not want to deal with it again. We are in Ireland well I suppose its someting he wil have to do if he wants, its just something that sits at the back of my mind. Do u mind me asking what u would have drank everyday?
    • Posted

About six pints of strong lager (Stella) every day. Sometimes more at the weekend, as I held a down a good job, so didn't drink during the day during the week.

• Posted

I am new here. I've just been told I have a excessive fatty liver and elevated enzymes. Being referred to a gastroenterologist. Forgot to mention I don't drink. Is this anything to worry about??

• Posted

I would suggest getting informed and this group is a great place to start. Everyone deals with cirrohsis of the liver differently, if drinking is an issue I would also suggest Al-Anon. 

• Posted

Asceites is merely one symptom of this horrible disease. At my worst, I was Stage 4(end of life). I was having to have fluid removed routinely from my abdomen. Slightly less than 8 liters was the worst I experienced and it was an incredible amount of fluid in my rather small, skinny frame. I was put on a fluid restriction to reduce the amount of fluid buildup.He definitely needs to seek further treatment. My asceites also led to nerve damage in my upper thigh due to the weight and pressure of the fluid. This compressed a nerve. My transplant was about one year and the months ago and I still have some problems with sensation in that area today. Liver disease not only affects your liver. It damages your kidneys, heart, gall bladder, etc. It's definitely not something to take lightly. In the United States, most hospitals won't consider you for a transplant without at least six months of sobriety. Hope this helps. I am very healthy now and doing great but it is a long, hard road that he will face and he will need a lot of support from family and friends.

• Posted

Hi, I was diagnosed at 31 with cirrhosis, I had drain removing fluid from my abdomen, was in liver failure and managed to come through. I stopped drinking alcohol looked after my diet and took medication. I rested when I could and also didn't smoke. I went into recovery and still don't drink, I'm now 37yrs old, I have 6mths checks, scans, bloods etc and the hospital is satisfied with my progress.

My energy levels are good, I work full time in an addiction centre and my life is very happy. I have to take extra care as I'm not very good at fighting infection and illness so I have flu jabs etc.

I'm unsure of how my liver will affect me in the future, but I live for the day and don't worry, people say I look very healthy.

I hope this gives you and your friend hope😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.