Mirtazepine and not sleeping

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all. I've been taking mirtazepine 15mg for 3 weeks. I spent the 1st week taking just half a tablet so only 7.5mg. I'm taking to help with anxiety/insomnia/poor appetite due to constant nausea.

I'm taking it before bed and getting to sleep within around half an hour but I just don't stay asleep! I constantly wake throughout the night then finding it hard to get out of bed when it's time to get up. Then when I do get up I have a slight headache feel a bit dizzy and queasy.

I'm back at the doctors later this week for my first review. Does anyone know if increasing to 30mg will help me sleep better? I've seen reports that it's more sedating at lower doses. It's seems to be helping with the anxiety and I am eating a bit better. It's just the sleep that's the problem

Any views or advise??

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, you should try to swap with valdoxan a new antidepressant without unpleasant side effects and have the same properties.

Tell your doctor and let's see what happen.

• Posted

It took 4 to 5 weeks for the nausea to stop for me so just stay on 15 and let it get into your system properly before making any jumps or reductions in dose. I felt awful untill half way through the 4 th week then I levelled out and it really helped after that. Try not to dwell too much on how you feel or you will end up feeling worse x
    • Posted

Did you have the nausea before starting Mirtazepine? Or was it a side effect for you? I am feeling quite nauseous today, but think it's my anxiety

• Posted

I had it when my anxiety was spiking but when I was in my first few weeks on mirt it was quite constant untill it levelled out after a few more weeks. After that it completely went
  • Posted

HI LAINYLOU,,,three weeks on mirt is not long enouth to take real effect on your problems,,how did u sleep on 7.5mg lower dose;s of mirt normally work better,,,ask your dr for advice but they do not always know ,,,some times it is trial and error to find the right mgs of mirt,,i was on mirt 4 three months and it worked wonders 4 me for dep/anx/chronic imsomnia,,,but still have sleep problems,,dr is going to give me a small dose of DIAZEPAM 4 a short time 4 sleep  hope this helps you ................BLUESY 
  • Posted

Try taking it with hot drink and it's normally the lower dose that's best for sleep. I take 15mg with melatonin for sleep but it makes me hungry. 30mg is definitely worth a try but if you wake up during the night I do that several times a night and it's kind of accepting that as my sleep pattern. I hope you find the right dose as it will help with all the things you want it to help with.

• Posted

Hi Lainylou

I have exactly the same problem, I drop off to sleep but wake up a couple of hours later and then can't get back to sleep. I am on 30mg of Mirtazapine. So I have split my tab in two, take one half before bed and then when I wake up take the other half without opening my eyes or putting on any lights. Doesn't always work I am afraid but sometimes I get another couple of hours sleep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.