horrible nausea after iron supplements

Posted , 3 users are following.

hello, I had low ferritin of 3 and i have been on iron supplements for 10 days when i started to feel nausea and even breathless after drinking or eating .. that's when i decided to stop the iron and take the blood tests again and the ferritin is 40 now .. the doctor told me to stop the iron supplements .. its have been 4 days now since i stoped the supplements and i still feel a horrible nausea and disconfort its making me so anxious and tired i can't do anyting but thinking about it .. is anyone had the same problem ??  

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Ho sara. It also happend to me when i was low in ferritin i take iron supplement for about 1 month and i stopped because of bad effects same like urs . Then my dr told me to drink alot of water and these side effects went away in 2 weeks. So dnt worry you will be fine in next few days.
    • Posted

Hi Wasiq and thank you so much for your reply 

I'm so glad that you got better, and i will wait hopefully i'll get better too. 

• Posted

Hi Sara.

Did your doctor say why to come off the iron? Usually the range for ferritin is around 20-200 and I would say at least 70, close to the half way mark is what to aim for. 

However have had any investigations on why your ferritin is low? It's possible that your symptoms are coming back because your ferritin is falling again or you have iron deficiency anaemia. You can find this out from your blood tests, iron, transferrin saturation and full blood count. I would go back to my doctor. 

• Posted

HI Jenny and thank you so much for your reply smile

I do believe that the low ferritin is due to heavy menstruation.

The doctor that asked me to stop the iron supplements is not the one that gave them to me and he told me that it is normal to feel nausious because the dose was high for me .. but it makes me worried because they don't seem to understand how sick i feel now, and they keep giving me medication to stop stomach pain and bloating which i don't have any of those symptomes sad

The only thing that i can do now is to wait because going back to the doctor would probably make no difference.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.