I have had severe anxiety at night for many years and am on paroxetine.

Posted , 4 users are following.

i take it at night but I have read you should take in the morning. The nighttime anxiety persists its worry about not sleeping or going back to sleep and the palpitations means I don't. Does anyone have any other ideas other than controlled breathing 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Liz.

You need to start taking it in the morning would be good if you can take it after breakfast. when you wake up have glass of water before anithyng.

You need to get routine taking Paroxetine daily in the morning. dont drink alcohol daily, you can have now and then glass of wine or beer in moderation quontity.

most important is to focus your life on positive energy and stay away from situation what is making you stress.

Try to be calm as much is possible, and lots of laughter.

goog luck and take care.

• Posted

lots of people have problems with insomnia while taking paxil. It's a stimulant so that is no surprise. Yes, I should be taking early in the day, not at bedtime. 

• Posted

Paroxetine helps with anxiety, which in theory should help you sleep. That's obviously why it was prescribed to you. Normally it should be taken in the morning though.

Ask your Dr about Mirtazipine antidepressant. I took it for over a year, at night, and it definitely helped me sleep. The only reason I stopped was because it can cause weight gain, something I needed to avoid. However, by what you are describing, that is unlikely to happen until you are much better. 

I still take paroxetine. Have done for over 20 years. It has been a life-saver for me, but everyone is different. Occasionally I take a sleeping pill, but not all the time, as they are addictive and lose effectiveness after a while.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

I have been on and off paroxetine for seven years. I personally take it at night.

My (own, not based on medical info) thought is that once your system adjusts to the medication it doesn't make any difference at what time you take it, although it should be at the same regular time every day/or night.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.