Chronic Sinusitis

Posted , 6 users are following.

I suffer from chronic sinusitis and get it literally every other month or two and when I get it it lasts for weeks making me absolutely miserable. I can't sleep because the post nasal drip is so bad and waking up in mornings are terrible because of the pressure and drainage. It may seem silly but these infections are starting to take over the actual quality of my life and I feel like they will be the death of me. I've tried absolutely everything. Nasal sprays, saline sprays, etc. Nothing works! I keep going to the doctor and they tell me there's nothing I can do. I've lost count of how many times I've gone to the doctor and I'm starting to feel like I'm going to have to learn how to live with this chronic discomfort and constantly feeling sick. I love going hiking and doing things with friends but this prevents me from being able to do sometimes even the simplest things and even brings on depression as well. If you have any suggestions please help!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Have you had a scan or camera up the nose? There must be something they can do? Those sprays etc are useless if the underlying problem is something else.

I know what you mean about it being the death of you, I take codeine everyday and thst can't be good!

• Posted

Yes it was a camera up my nose but they also did a CT prior to surgery. I am desperate to do something. It's painful and the fatigue is crippling. Doctors make me feel like a loss cause. I have a high pain tolerance so I try to limit my pain medication. The swelling in my face proves that something is going on.

• Posted

I feel ur pain and there is really nothing I can give as far as a cure. Because I too suffer mightily with chronic sinusitis and I probably have a flare it feels like every other week.

I am on a fourth ENT, even though this one has not found a cure he is at least understanding. During the holidays I was on a six day course of pedisione that helped with the inflammation cause by the sinusitis. But of course u can not stay on predisione.

I too suffer mostly upon waking up because the drainage is like a water fall, along with watery eyes.

What I have found out is this particular issue is also a mystery to doctors, because what work for some does not work for others. Of course doctors now a days just treat symptoms and everybody is treated the same way with the usually saline, sprays and allergy medicine routine.

It is very frustrating and if you have not experienced this people have no idea so u get no help from friend, lol.

So basically I am responding to let u know u r not alone and yes affecting your life that it does, especially people who are active.

• Posted

I try not to talk about it around family and friends anymore because they are tired of hearing about it. I just treat it like everyday life now.

It's extremely frustrating. I keep waiting to feel better so I can do things I enjoy but there are days I wonder if I ever will.

• Posted

I hear u I to have stop talking about it to freeing and family. I try to neti pot as much as possible and I take a saline solution with me . I just hope it will eventually just fix itself.

But I definitely can relate. The worst part is not knowing day to day how I am going to feel which adds to the frustration. Even when I get invited somewhere my first thought is will I be able to make it and how will I feel that day

• Posted

Hello Lauren,

I've been afflicted with Alergic Rhinitis for over 60 years and the past 2+ years I've been hexed liked you with Chronic Sinusitis. A dose pack of Prednisone I've found can give temporarily relief, but like you say.....the problem returns.  Antibiotics have  not been the silver bullet for me either.  Sometimes a bit of detective work can help.  I've found that my problem is worse during fall and winter months when the furnace is on.  Also the summer are just as bad if the airconditioner is running.  Mold spores, dust mites, etc can be a big problem for causing sinus problems.  Check to make sure you don't have those irritants in your home.  I found that  working on my Immune System helps a lot.  I try to exercise at the YMCA 3 - 4 times a week and use their Sauna to help open my sinuses.   Also Multiple Vitamins and supplements such as pro-biotics , Vitamin C are touted to help build our Immune Systems.  At bedtime I take a Doctor recommended dose of Diphenhydramine HCL which a much cheaper generic for Benadryl.  This not only helps dry up my sinuses, but also helps me sleep.

Best wishes to you for getting rid of this ugly condition!

• Posted

I would let the doctor know how much this is affecting your life. My ENT ran me through a course of antibiotics than did a CT to show the antibiotics is not getting ride of the sinusitis. Surgery improved my symptoms.
    • Posted

U said the surgery did help how long since u have had the surgery, and what was done during ur surgery did u have polyps that were removed r did ur ENT correct ur septum r open ur sinuses. Surgery was suggested by my first ENT I have heard many war stories about surgery not working so I have stayed away so please answer these question if u can. I am very interested
    • Posted

First surgery was a partial ethmoid removal, septum corrected, and a mass of dead tissue removed.11 months later I had a second surgery turbulent reduction, ethmoid removal, all openings expanded.
    • Posted

WOW that a lot but Thank u for that information. Although the ENT could not give me any guarantee he did suggest that a turbination reduction could be an option. To help with my issues

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.