Glandular fever I'm so desperate

Posted , 8 users are following.

three months ago I woke up and was feeling very sick. High fever, intens heat and exhaustion. At that time I thought I had the flu. But it was a very heavy flu and it won't go away. After six weeks and three rounds of antibiotics (which didn't help)  I was diagnosed with glandular fever.

Now, it's almost three months and I have still intense heat-attacks, insomnia, exhaustion, and still feeling very sick and my eyes are red and hurting. I have to lay in bed all day. It's terrible and I'm so scared. Sometimes when I'm feeling a little bit better I watch tv for half an hour, but after that I feel sicker than before. That makes me so scared. 

I had a active life and I'm so scared that I never get better and there is something terribly wrong with me.  It's three months now, and I'm desperate. I need some encouragement. Does this sounds "normal" to you? 

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm in exactly the same place, except not quite at three months. Wish I could give some encouragement, but I'm also terrified and desperate for any sign of improvement. They say this is "normal" but it's incredibly difficult to deal with.

I hope that you and I both feel much better very soon.

• Posted

Marie, I'm in month 6. Still in bed most of time. Struggle with muscle and joint pain. Also anxiety, insomnia, weakness and tender lymph glands.

Hopefully you will recover much sooner. Everyone reacts differently to the virus. Most experience similar symptoms. This forum is great for encouragement.

Listen to your body. Don't push. Just know this too will pass. You will get better.

Rhonda

• Posted

Marie, I also have drainage from my eyes. They are slightly red and often feel like there is a film over them. They had gotten better but came back when I had a relapse day after Thanksgiving.

We have to try to remember everyday is one closer to having this behind us!

Rhonda

• Posted

Hi Maria,

So sorry to hear you have been struggling with glandular fever, it's a horrible virus and I can really sympathise from the time I had it. Just wanted to offer some reassurance that what you're going through seems to be a normal cycle of the virus, I was like you and very scared thought that things wouldn't improve, but eventually they do believe me, it's just so frustrating that it can take a number of months for some, but as Rhonda says everyone is different.

Take some a good multi-vitamin, B complex and siberian ginseng if you are able to, they will help boost your immune system and energy levels. But in general it just seems to be a time factor, but I really do believe you will recover and get over this, because I was in the same boat after 3 months feeling like there was no progress and eventually I did get there after another few months. This is the worst phase now and you won't have to deal with another 3 months like this hopefully.

Hang in there, thinking about you and plenty of rest as the guys said - boring I know but it's key to give your body time to recover.

Take care and hope things improve soon

Craig

• Posted

Thank you all for your kind and encouraging words. It means a lot to me. Sarah and Rhonda, I wish you a quick recovery. It's so difficult to handle.

Craig, did your symptoms slowly disappear? I hate the heat-sensations and sweating. Sometimes it's a little bit better, but even after a short activity (reading a book or something) it returns in full strength. Did you have that too? 

I aprreciate it very much that you're still reacting on this forum even you have recovered. Thanks!!!!

• Posted

Hi Maria,

I had the same feelings of what I could only really describe as a fever actively running through my body, it felt like waves of heat and as though the virus was actively working all the time, it really is horrible and I do sympathise.

I think it can be different for different people in how they recover, I tended to find that I would stay at the same level for a while and then maybe make a quick jump forward in a short space of time, it's strange I know but I think there comes a point when your body gets control of the virus and for some people I've even heard that things can take a big step overnight.

However, overall recovery is gradual and your body takes time to recover from feeling wiped out for sure.

You will definitely return to full health Maria, it's hard to be patient but take comfort and reassurance that this length of time is normal and you can and will still make a full recovery, without any doubt whatsover, just so frustrating that it takes time and if it doesn't come right away don't be discouraged, it will definitely come for you!

Hang in there!

Craig

• Posted

Hi Maria

Im so sorry your suffering

My advice would to seek out a good Naturopath, its not cheap but it was deffinately a turing point for me

Other than that stay hydrated, get good nutrious foods (my body couldnt handle alcoholics drinks,it would be a major set back) and a good probiotic...most virues like to live in the gut.

Rest, go slowly as far as activity goes. Try not to stress or be scared its a waste of the precious energy you have so little of.

All of us here have been through or going through a similar situation. So call on us if you need support or cheering up

Wishing you all the best

Anne 😀

• Posted

thanks Anne, I seeing a naturopath. It's a very kind man and I know him for years. When the fever is gone, I want to start juicing. I have a vegetable garden and then I'll be able to drink lots of healthy vegetables.

for now I take a good multivitamin, vitamin C, vitamin D, a probiotic, curcuma and coconutoil. and no more sugar for me. 

But it's difficult right now to eat healthy, I live alone and cooking is is too much for me. I'm 45 and don't have parents anymore, so I am one my one. 

Everytime, when i feel panick I read this forum with all of your kind words and encouaging.

wishing you the best too!

• Posted

Marie, thinking of you and hope you have had some better hours and days.

How are things going for you?

Rhonda

• Posted

Hi Rhonda, thanks for asking. I apreciate it very much that your helping others while you're in the same situation.

i had a very bad day with fever raging through my body, while the last couple of days I thought the fever was gone.  I hate it so much. 

Was in panick, 

hope you had a better day!! 

• Posted

Marie, it is hard to know when your better with this virus. I am hoping one day the symptoms will just be gone never to return with their furry!

People who haven't been through the more difficult symptoms and prolonged days and months of fighting this can't understand!

May we all have a good night's sleep.

Prayers.

Rhonda

• Posted

Marie, I have a gel ice or cold pac I keep in fridge or freeze and put it on neck or shoulders when I had those awful hot sweaty times. If frozen I'd wrap a wash cloth.

Rhonda

• Posted

Thinking of you Maria, I really and truly believe that you will recover from this, it's so frustrating that it can take time but you will get there. Most definitely some good advice from Anne and Rhonda - thanks for that ladies!

Craig

• Posted

Marie, thinking of you as you are battling with this virus. You are another day closer to having it under control.

I woke at 1am with a hot sick feeling and thought of you. How is your sleep?

Keep the faith we all will be healthy again!

Rhonda

• Posted

Rhonda, I,m so sorry for you. The hot sick feeling is terrible.

I used to be a good sleeper, but since the glandular fever came in my life I have frustrating insomnia. It's so weird, my body is exhausted but can't sleep at night. Today I slept all day. For me, it's the only way, because when I don't the fever returns. It's a weird virus!  

Hope we all get better!!! 

• Posted

Marie, thanks for your encouragement! I usually don't have more than one episode a night of the hot sick feeling. It wakes me and I can't go back to sleep.

Glad to hear you can sleep in the day. I seldom can day sleep.

Encouragement from others who know how the virus rants and raves is so important.

Better times ahead! Keeping our faith active when our bodies can't be.

• Posted

Definitely better times ahead Rhonda, for you and Marie and everyone here on the site. You will definitely know when your body is starting to get under control, life just starts to become more normal and less of a struggle - that day is definitely coming for everyone reading this!

Craig

• Posted

You WILL get through this Maria, without any doubt I believe that, even if it doesn't feel that way just now smile

• Posted

Marie, seeing any less symptoms? What a blessing it will be to be able to do chores and things we enjoy again!

This virus makes the days and nights seem really long!

Praying and looking forward to our complete recovery!

Please let us hear how you are. I kno some days you may not be up to posting.

Rhonda

• Posted

Hi Marie, thinking of you. Hoping ypu have had some better hours and days.

Please update us. We care!

Prayers, Rhonda

• Posted

Hi Rhonda, thank you. Hope you had better days. I'm sleeping a lot and try not to worry. Imade an appointment with an Infectious disease docter. I'm seeing him next week. 

• Posted

Good to hear from you! Glad you can sleep.

Please keep us updated!

Rhonda

• Posted

Hey Marie,

Totally agree with Rhonda, good luck with seeing the infectious disease doctor next week, hoping you are feeling settled today and remember the bigger perspective that this horrible virus and time will pass and you will feel better again, not always much consolation when experiencing the harsh symptoms and fatigue I know, there is hope though and remember not to put too much stress or pressure on yourself.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.