Burning feeling after foot surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had flat foot reconstructive surgery on Dec 28. Calcaneal osteotomy and arthrodesis. It was outpatient and I left with my foot wrapped up in a splint. I had mild/moderate pain and stayed ahead of my pain by using my prescription. It was mostly a tight, clenching, uncomfortable feeling that I was dealing with. Then on Jan 4, I saw the surgeon and he checked me for infection and took X-rays and re-wrapped my splint. After returning home (2 hr drive home from his office), a little later in the evening, I began to feel extremely uncomfortable and it got worse throughout the night. The pain is like a white-hot burning fire that pulsates and throbs and sometimes feels like a wave. Nothing relieved it. I have been and continue to follow Dr's orders on constantly keeping foot elevated and on ice. I tried Advil, Tylenol, and Aleve. I did not sleep that entire night, just writhed around in agony, trying to get comfortable. The next day, Jan 5, I called my surgeon's office as soon as they opened and had to wrestle with them and nag them just to finally get a Tylenol3 prescription later in the afternoon! It did cut the pain down by about half. I would say my pain levels on Wed night were off the charts at a 12, so the painkiller knocked it down to a more normal 6. I continue to elevate and ice my foot constantly except for bathroom breaks, dinner breaks at the table (still elevated, but no ice), and during sit-down showers (elevated, but no ice). I still can hardly sleep and nothing feels comfortable to me. Whenever I move my foot from being elevated to a down position, I cry out in pain because it almost feels like my heel is stuck and being pulled away from something. I also have twitching and muscle spasms. Last night, I was laughing at a tv show and my foot did a crazy spasm. 

Has anyone else had burning pain or twitching spasms in a splint or cast? I feel like something's not right here and I just want to go back to the Sun, Mon, and Tues before my appt on Jan 4 when all this pain started! On those days, I was only taking Advil to keep up on swelling, not for any pain relief. 

By the way, I have an appt with my surgeon on Jan 11 to get stitches taken out and a hard cast put on. Maybe the hard cast won't be as bad. Thanks for reading!!

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Wow that sounds awful!!! No, I have not had that kind of pain however; my 5th metatarsal surgery was painless. Please keep us informed. By the way, I find Aleve useless. 4 Motrin (800 mg) is the RX dose. Give that a try. Tylenol is also uselesssad IMO.

• Posted

I tried Tylenol 500 and was able to sleep for an hr, thank God! The Tylenl3 I've been trying to conserve it because he only gave me 30 with no refill. So I had one of those in my system which is only 300mg acetiminophen with 30mg codeine. Then 2 hrs later, I took 500mg of acetiminopen. 

• Posted

Hi Sarah, I had Mortons Neuroma surgery. About a week later got terrible burning in my foot. Felt like it was on fire. Then sharp pains. GP said it was tge nerves and prescribed gabapentin. It was brilliant and settled it down. I am in UK.
  • Posted

Hi there,

I can relate to your pain in the downward position. It was excruciating. I'm not sure about the other pain you described. I can say that my first day out of the hospital wasn't bad, it was day 2,3,4 that were awful. I was on hydrocodone and it felt like I wasn't on anything the way the pain came in more aggressive aching. It might have been because the nerve block wore off. I ended up having to call my doctor to get approval to take other pain meds in conjunction. I hope all is well !

• Posted

Hi Sarah  I hope this burning pain gets under control.  Sounds like Auntiebeanie might be on to something.  Gabapentin (Neurotin) is the same name here in the US.  I plan to follow you because I am going to be getting flat foot surgery sometime soon.  My I ask your age. I would love for you to join Flat Foot Support Group on facebook. I just started it so only a few members so far.  Do you mind me asking your age?  It's totally different for a 25 year old compared to a 50 year old with RA so just wondering

• Posted

Wow, that is very exciting for you! I should make a post about the flat foot reconstruction on here. I am 28 and my surgeon told me my specific surgery procedures he will not perform on ppl over 30, so thanking God I found out about it in the nick of time. I believe this whole reconstruction process is part of God's plans for healing me. I just need to keep the big picture in mind!! 

• Posted

Hey Sarah

What procedure exactly are you having? I'm 28 as well and just had my procedure before thanksgiving. I'm wondering if any similarities.

• Posted

Calcaneal osteotomy (controlled break of heel) and arthrodesis (MBA implant)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.