Talonavicular fusion and running again?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi I am considering having Talonavicular fusion however with pain killers and very careful planning I can get through the day reasonably OK as long as I avoid any impact which means no running jumping and wearing very soft footwear. I really missing running and mountain biking to the point I am willing to take a year out in recovery (I am 54 by the way) Can anyone give me some advice on the real benefits, will I truly be pain free? Will I actually be able to at least jog for a few miles? (I weigh 75kgs) Are there different ways the operation can be performed, which is best. Any advice or experiences would be very much appreciated.

1 like, 45 replies

45 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Simon,

For me the talonavicular surgery has been a definite improvement. I am no longer on pain meds including anti inflamitories🎉

I still have inflammation but I expect by one year that will no longer b an issue.

I am 72 years old but I have good bones. Because of that my surgeon used only two small staples to hold my two bones in place. My bones fused very quickly.

I do walk 11/2 miles per day, my foot is uncomfortable because of swelling that's why I don't walk more at a time. I do occasionally walk more in the afternoon. When going out I do wear high heels sometimes. I have traveled a lot since my surgery have been able to handle all kinds of terrain. In two weeks I will b walking in sand for the first time.

this is a big decision, a year of your life & patience on your part & on those caring for u.

Only the best, Karran

• Posted

I live next to a beach and run a beach hire company so it would be great to know how you get on. Unable to surf and paddle boarding is agony is driving me nuts. How restricted is your ankle movement 20% or more? Wishing you the best recovery. Simon
    • Posted

Simon, my ankle flex up & down is 100%. Sideways maybe 80% a little stiff, but haven't worked on that. My only PT has been to walk.

I have confidence that walking in sand will not b a problem, my fusion is sound (one bone).

Just that my skin around incision is still tingly so the feeling may b a bit scratchy or not.

This actually should b good exercise for me.

We r meeting kids & 3 year old twins in hawaii so a lot of beach activity.

The hardest part of this whole thing is patience.

R u in the US?

Karran

• Posted

Hi Karren, no I am in the UK, though travel to the states 3/4 times a year.

my pain is a constant mild ache to severe pain on occasions. I have learnt to live with it but as it worsens I adapt, however walking with a limp will soon  affect my knee and hip, the main reason to go for surgery. If however the movement is limited and I still limp the knee and hip problem will still occur I will just be hopefully pain free. I teach paddle boarding and kayaking so my best time for the operation is next October, the start of our winter and hopefully be back in action May 2018.

• Posted

forgot to mention my side movement is about 10% and up and down 80% strength 50% before pain stops me. I hoping this is the point that means the operation will give me a marked improvement on what I have today.

simon

• Posted

Simon, u r going to b so happy after your surgery. Before I could hear the crunching of my talus & navicular rubbing together. Anyone walkingcwith me could hear them as well, so painful. Yucky past thoughts, no more.

6 months before my foot surgery I got a full hip replacement. 3 months before my foot surgery I had a full reverse shoulder replacement. I have no pain from any of these surgeries now. Everyone is different but u should with patience a steady recovery.

Karran

• Posted

Simon, 

I had talonvicular surgery in april. i was still having pain in my ankle as time progressed, but we found the problem after i had to go back and have it redone. They went in and put 3 screws, and 2 plates in the first time, and when we went back in 4 weeks ago, he found fibrous tissue, and took out the hardware, and cleaned it out, and opend up the other side of my foot, cleaned it out, put in more hardware, put an arch in my foot, and put some epxoy, or heavy duty stuff in it. Im still in the cast, and hopefully out of it on friday. 

I wouldnt do any kind of exercise until you are released from the dr. I cant put any kind of weight on my foot at all. Once iam able to walk, i know there will be some kind of electrical shooting pain going thru my leg and foot as my foot has atrophied from non walking, and exercise. 

good luck, and keep us updated on how your doing

sue

• Posted

I'm having this surgery done in the morning so I don't yet have any advice for you. I do know that my doc is doing a bone graft as part of the surgery and some other docs don't do that unless the surgery doesn't work the first time. My doc did say that I will eventually be able to do everything that I could previously do, just without the pain. Of course, he was talking about what I could do after the joint had been destroyed by arthritis, not before the arthritis. I've already lost the side-to-side control, or whatever it is that this joint specifically controls, and the surgery won't change that. What I've read is that flat land will be easy to navigate while hills or uneven land will be harder. I couldn't jog or run even if I wanted to because of a knee replacement.

• Posted

Becky, I wish u an easy recovery. U just have to have patience with yourself and those around u. This is a year long process. I am 9 months post surgery.

Best wishes,

Karran

• Posted

Becky, 

Good Luck tomorrow. My dr said he was doing a bond graft off my tibia, but got in there, and decided against it, and put in epoxy instead. You will have some pain in your ankle, and it may feel like it has to pop, crack, be very very careful with that. You will probably be in a ace bandage, and "L"  splint for the first few weeks, then go into a cast. Im in my cast now, and so far so good, my foot is feeling good. Im so looking forward to getting it off i hope on friday.

Also, everyone that is in a cast, if your foot, or ankle or foot itches, DO NOT put anything down the cast, it will cause your skin to open up, and an infection could start, and the dr will not be happy, or give you an antibiotic. When i was in my drs office the go around with my cast, a lady was in there. and stuck  a spoon or knife or fork into the cast, and she got lots of sores, and lots of infections. If it itches pound on the cast, and the vibration from it, it will make the itch go away, or take benadryl. 

Good Luck

Sue

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. I've never had to deal with a cast before. I wouldn't have thought of pounding on it to relieve the itching.

• Posted

Hi Becky, are you in the UK? Good luck with the op and please tell me how your recovery goes. Simon
    • Posted

Your very welcome. From what they told me, the vibration off the cast will help the itch go away. Good luck tomorrow. Please let us know how your doing, and how the surgery went. Let's hope I can be out of my cast on Friday. I'll keep you posted. Please stay in touch. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Hugs

• Posted

hi gloria, how it's going? could you tell me how was your recovery? do you feel any kind of pain? Can you do physical activities?

thank you😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.