Liver damage... What vitamins and food supplements should I take to improve repair my liver ?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm 32 year old male ...Ok so a drank 6-8 pints of beers 5% every single night after work for over a decade (12 years )

I'm sober now but I'm determined to turn my life around as it started to affect the family life.(sorry if you've already read this in previous post) I've seen a doctor and told her all about my drinking she gave me the once over and said my liver felt normal and not enlarged. I had no other symptoms other than I pain that came and went in my side after a heavy drinking session and a couple of times before I gave up I would sometimes wake with a red puffy face that would go by lunch time if I had a few to many. (alarm bells stop drinking) I had I liver function tests and they came back as normal.

I'm sure I must have damaged my liver! Every single day with no breaks 10-16units more on Fridays how could I not have? I read that the Liver function test don't always show what's going on ... What do you think ? How bad is it likely to be damaged with those results ?ive never been hospitalized through drinking or had blackouts.i have never had a drink in the morning or in the day. when quitting I never had any withdraw symptoms except night sweats. 2-3 days.I did wright on an earlier post about pins and needles in my hands thinking this was a withdrawal symptom but after talking to a friend he told me it's down to a well known ingredient in the protein shake I was taking (beta alanine) and that many people get pins and needles from taking the supplement. when I quit alchole I took up running the same day and started drinking it.

what should I take to try and repair my liver? I'm currently eating lots of veg,fruit, lots of antioxidants ,drinking 3 cups of green tea instead of coffe I've cut out fatty fried food and started running.

What is the best thing to take to repair the liver? I'm currently taking.

.Turmeric and artichoke food supplement pill

.Milk Thistle pill

.A multi vitamin pill

.cod liver oil pill

. Omega 3 pill

. Herbal garlic pill

Do you think I'm over taking? As I don't want to damage my liver even more than I'm sure it is. Can anybody advise a good blend of vitamins and food supplements to take with a balanced diet to improve liver function and help repair the liver ? What do you take ?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Thiamine (any strong Vitamin B) and Sanatogen Complete A-Z should be all you Need. smile

• Posted

I'm not sure if what you are taking really does you anything remarkable for your Liver, although it certainly will do you no Harm.....Better to have Belt and Braces I suppose smile

• Posted

Thanks for the reply ....Yea I just wondered as I searched the Internet and all I found were people recommending milk thistle. I also read that turmeric and artichoke was good for the liver hence why I'm taking them. Just wondering if anbody knew of any thing else

• Posted

Hi Kevin. Glad to hear your doing so well.

Depending on how long ago you stopped drinking liver function tests may not show anything

The liver has amazing reserve. Recent alcohol consumption maybe shown with a Gamma glutamyl transferase but that declines within months. Only ultrasound or biopsy can detect alcoholic liver disease in early stages. I've read milk thistle and glutathione can assist the liver but I think that's only in prevention of damage while your drinking.

Hopes that's usefull

• Posted

Kevinplus. If you are not drinking, your liver will fix itself. It has amazing powers of recovery. It may be worth asking your GP to do a Liver Function test (or you can order a kit online, prick your finger and send a small blood sample off and they get the results - I will send you the link in a private message, if you want - let me know. It's only £20 and nothing to do with me but they are reputable.) If you get a test done now, and one in a couple of month's time you should see the results improve, unless you have been lucky enough not to cause much damage, in which case, it may have already returned to normal. You didn't say how long you have been sober for.

• Posted

Hi Paul thanks for getting back to me ...I've been sober for just over a month and never going back. I've had a liver fuction test it came back as normal. But I'm sure I must have done some damage...

• Posted

Hi Paul

Can I just ask you something

I have read that LFT's can be normal if you have cirrhosis.  This really worries me.

Is this true

Thank you x

• Posted

I have also read this Lizzie that's what I worrie about ?

• Posted

I've read that the only way to really tell 100% is with a biopsy.. But what I can't work out is it everywhere it says that there are 3 stages of liver Disease ...alcoholic fatty liver with symptoms of loss of appetite,Fatigue , sickness, abdominal pain. But not alway showing symptoms. I also read that fatty liver is mainly detected in blood tests carried out for unrelated issues.

Alcoholic liver disease the 2nd stage..with all the above symptoms with yellowing of skin. Diarrhea, feeling flu like symptoms.and other symptoms can't rennet them all.

So what I'm confused about is it possible to not get any of these and end up with cirrhosis ?

• Posted

Hi Kevin

Yes, it is worrisome,isnt it.

Hopefully someone will explain this to us.

x

• Posted

You would feel pretty rough if you had cirrhosis, Kevin. I am sending you a link in a private message to The British Liver Trust which tells you more. At your age, it is extremely unlikely that you will have done a large amount of damage to your liver, but it is good that you have stopped drinking now.

Blood tests and biopsy are used to diagnose cirrhosis. MRI scans and endoscpty can also be used. While a blood test alone cannot be used to diagnose cirrhosis, these blood tests will indicate that there is a problems which needs further investigation (eg. biopsy). It is not likely that a blood test (Liver Function Test) will come back normal for a person with cirrhoris as these tests show up issues long before cirrhosis occurs.

• Posted

Hello Lizzie. See my reply to Kevin. I'll send you the same link in a private message

• Posted

Hi Paul thanks for getting back to me. I will check the video out. I'm glad you think that and I really hope you're right

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.