I am confused

Posted , 10 users are following.

It started as a slight pain in my arm which lasted 8 months. Then went to physio for a further 5/6 months who gave me exercises and said I had shoulder impingement. In that time I was sent for an X-ray and was given a cortisone injection which didn't work. Unfortunately I took a fall which made the pain and shoulder worse. I was eventually referred to hospital where I saw a Scope Physiotherapist who said I had a frozen shoulder caused by the fall. He never sent me for another X-ray, he just moved my arm etc about, looked at my old X-ray and said there is no point in doing the exercises as they won't help and he also said that it could take 1/2 years to go away. He gave me an open appointment card for a year and told me if I get worse to go back to him. I am really struggling now. It seems to be more painful and my mobility is worse. Can anyone give me advise please?

aabb 

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi aabb, I'm sorry you are going through this, it's a terrible disability to have. Unfortunately X-ray does not show FZ, it is basically diagnosed by seeing if you can move your arm into different positions. FZ is a build up of adhesions around the capsule that your shoulder sits in. Most people have a 1 mm thickness of the capsule, when I had surgery it was 6 mm. If you do a search on this forum for frozen shoulder there is alot of information on it. Dee smile

• Posted

Thank you for getting back to me

aabb

• Posted

Hi Aabb - so sorry for you - FS is a miserable condition. There's a really supportive Facebook group - Frozen Shoulder Friends - where you'll find loads of people dealing with the same thing you are. They can tell you lots about treatments and generally cheer you up!

• Posted

thank you for getting back to me

aabb

• Posted

I have just found that whoever u see that seem reluctant to recommend outside their field. That's why I felt so isolated. I really knew that MUA was for me. I wasn't brave enough for hydrolitation...if u saw a consultant he would say one of the above. First time round I saw an Osteo who manipulated it..ouch....surgery is of course frightening but for me it was a breakthrough. I am now nearly three months on pain free and doing my exercises .

good luck

• Posted

You're quite right - I didn't know hydrodilation involved being brave - I do now! I've had four over two shoulders - but they have worked.

• Posted

Sorry but what does MUA stand for and what does it involve? I see this in a lot of posts but don't know what it is.

aabb

• Posted

Hi...Manipulation under anaesthetic. ...my consultant said that the anaethetist doesn't like the noise....he also so said he might have to do an arthroscopic release. ..I.e cutting away the scar tissue if that didn't work...but he didn't. ..u wake up with a nerve block...physios within 48 hrs ish and I was back to full sleep at night within 6 weeks....

• Posted

Oh a good nights sleep sounds absolutely fantastic. I only get 3/5 hours of sleep anyway as I have fibromyalgia but this frozen shoulder is making things worse. I would love to have a great sleep. 

Aabb

• Posted

Just a wee update for you regarding my shoulder. I was at the hospital yesterday and the consultant gave me another cortisone injection. He also wants to do an ultra sound scan and send me for more physio. If these things don't work then I have to get manipulation. 

Aabb

• Posted

I had arthroscopic capsule release and MUA and 5 months on and have nearly got full ROM if you can afford the surgery I'd definitely do it.

• Posted

Hi I had FS and shoulder impingement, they managed to free up the FS with one session of PT, but my thoughts were that if the a bone is still rubbing off the tendon it will keep it inflamed, so i opted to have the acronium bone shaved down, that was on the 15th Dec, so its still not back to normal as yet. This has all come from a problem with a disc in my neck, my big worry is that if i go back to work doing the same desk job is that my shoulder could refreeze. If i was you i would get an MRI done. that will so the impingement and to a certain extent if you have FS. the op was athroscopic, so three little holes that you cant really even see.
    • Posted

Sean - just to say that your shoulder may have been diagnosed as FS but if it cleared with one session of PT then it can't have been Adhesive Capsulitis. Just don't want Aabb to get hopes up that there's a quick fix for this condition.

• Posted

I just feel so confused by it all. The physio said I had shoulder impingement and then a Scope physio said I have a frozen shoulder also because I had a fall. The Scope physio said not to do exercises as it won't make any difference but when you read things about it all exercises are one of the treatments. I feel I need to try and keep it mobile even although it's very painful. If I don't I fear I will have long term damage. What do I do!

aabb

• Posted

I had shoulder hydrodilation and am so pleased I did. It gave me instant relief from pain and better ( but not perfect) ROM. I had been told that it would be agony for 30 seconds and went into the X-ray room in a rather nervous state. It was uncomfortable but really didn't hurt at all. People vary but if you are offered this, please don't be worried.I was in and out in15 minutes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.